811 on a regular TV

grendyl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
I am signing up for the digital home advantage plan (that is a rental plan btw? they never make that clear IMO - I had no idea) Anyhow it's the same price for 2 811s, as 1 811 and 1 regular.

Questions

1) Can I operate the 811 on my regular component video 480i 4:3 TV or not? (so I can watch the letterboxed HDTV upstairs)

2) If I decide one day to buy a 921 will I have to deal with any BS re: the extra monthly part since the rest of the equipment is theirs (assuming this is a rental deal) etc,

Thank you so much -- I am very excited about saving the extra money!

1) Yes, it will work.
2) No, they shouldn't give you any trouble if you buy the 921. You won't be able to lease one, but no one else can either. If you have them set up the 921 as the primary receiver you won't have to pay an additional receiver fee on it or rental fee on one of the 811's whichever way you wanna look at it. So, it'll cost you only an extra 5 dollars a month for the dvr fee thing.

Keep in mind that the 811 does not have a Channel 3 RF output. So you cannot distribute it that way thru your house. Not a good way to do it that way anyway. But older units allowed you to do just that for "bedroom" TVs.

Moman19 said:
Keep in mind that the 811 does not have a Channel 3 RF output. So you cannot distribute it that way thru your house. Not a good way to do it that way anyway. But older units allowed you to do just that for "bedroom" TVs.

A RF modulator will fix that...fairly cheap at walmart (I use on for my bedroom).
The 811 still has some problems, for extended use on a regular TV I'd get the more reliable 'regular' reciever. But that's me.