811 or television problem?

acoldstarnolds

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
I have a 34" Sony HS 420 hooked up to the 811. I have a problem that happens periodically. This seems to only happen when I have the TV set to the HD input which is hooked to my 811 with an S video cable.
When watching sometimes red lines which look like lasers and are horizontal across the screen will appear and jump from the top to bottom of the screen. I can swith the input on the tv to the composite input and I do not get these lines. I have not noticed this when watching a DVD only when watching through the S Video input which is tied into the HD part of the input panel on the back of the tv.
Anyone know whether this is a reception problem, a cable problem or my television?

Why are you hooking up your receiver to the TV with an S-Video cable? If you are going into your HD input, you should have component cabling. Your s-video cable should go into a non-HD input. Your DVD player is probably a progressive player that outputs 480P. Your TV's HD input can work with that better than a 480I signal.

I was wrong, the S Video is hooked into the standard input on the tv, the HD input has the component cables which came with the 811 run to it.

Hi welcome to sat guys!

So how does your question go now?

Do you have this problem when viewing on the SD input with S-video?

or

Do you have this problem when viewing on the HD input with component cables?
-If this is the case what channel(s) does this happen on?
-If this is the case, my initial suggestion would be to press Menu 6 1 9. Then if the check mark is next to 720P change it to 1080I. Save the changes, turn off the STB and go back to viewing.

I have only noticed the problem on the HD input with the component cables.
My set up for the 811 output is for 1080i.

This does not happen on a regular basis but when it does happen it can sometimes fill the screen with these red horizontal lines. It goes away as quickly as it appears.

Is it on a particular channel? I do get blocks on my channels sometimes for a moment, but this is due to gliches in uplink/downlink that will happen from time to time.

I have not kept a log of which channels. I do know it has been only through the HD component input. It has happened while viewing OTA local channels in HD or SD and also on ESPN HD which comes in through Dish.
The only common thing is that is happens only on the HD input and it can happen on a HD broadcast or a regular Dish channel such as Fox news. It has happened with a clear sunny sky and also with bad weather, so weather does not seem to be the problem.

i have the same tv and sat receiver and have had a similer problem when i tried to run the component cables through my audio receiver which will pass high def signals. i got around the problem by hooking dvd and sat directly to tv. one thing i did notice before i did this was if i turned my dvd player on and off while watching the high def or sd sat the picture would go from good to bad when i did this. i have checked and rechecked cables but so far i have not figured this one out

I have my component run directly from the 811 to the HD input of the tv. I had tried switching it to the other HD component input with no better results. I have not tried using a different component cable yet. Think I will try a DVI to HDMI and see if that makes a difference.
It does seem to do this more when watching OTA channels so there is a possibility this is related to reception?

acoldstarnolds said:
I have a 34" Sony HS 420 hooked up to the 811. I have a problem that happens periodically. This seems to only happen when I have the TV set to the HD input which is hooked to my 811 with an S video cable.
When watching sometimes red lines which look like lasers and are horizontal across the screen will appear and jump from the top to bottom of the screen. I can swith the input on the tv to the composite input and I do not get these lines. I have not noticed this when watching a DVD only when watching through the S Video input which is tied into the HD part of the input panel on the back of the tv.
Anyone know whether this is a reception problem, a cable problem or my television?

I am assuming you are using Component on both your HD and DVD. Swap the cables and the inputs and see if the problem moves with the cable and unit. If it does, then swap the cables again but not the inputs and see if the problem follows the cables. Also try this with your 911 set to 480P. It might be a problem with the TV and 1080i. Could be a cable issue. Or could be the 811. I have not read any reports like this from other 811 users.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)