811 OTA installation experience

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

WeeJavaDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2003
SoCal
Thought it might be a good idea to get a pulse from fellow 811 users on there OTA installation experience.

This is a tough poll since there have been some software updates that fixed issues. Lets try to capture opinions from the current 266/267 firmware.

You can select multiple things so if you did both the 811 swap and upstream tweaking select both.

If you had a previous receiver and you cant get OTA with the 811, the answer would be less. If you had previous receiver but are using new a new installation on the upstream, then answer like a new OTA user.

I am sure I left some edge conditions here, but hopefully most bases are covered. Post your thoughts and details in the thread if you like too.

6 out of 8 choices involve having a previous receiver. Do you mean previous HD receiver?

The other two non-previous-receiver choices are "not working" or "works perfectly".

I would think that the largest portion of 811 users had no previous HD receiver, and are currently (or at the time of install) have issues somewhere in between "not working" and "works perfectly".

GaryPen said:
6 out of 8 choices involve having a previous receiver. Do you mean previous HD receiver?

The other two non-previous-receiver choices are "not working" or "works perfectly".

I would think that the largest portion of 811 users had no previous HD receiver, and are currently (or at the time of install) have issues somewhere in between "not working" and "works perfectly".

Well based on what I saw on here with previous posts there was a lot of people that had previous receivers and stated that their old STB OTA recievers work. I was mainly talking about HD reception here since it is and HD receiver. Lets leave Analog OTA out of this if we can.

As for the largest part of the 811 users being new HD users, you might be right. However from what i have read on the posts, most of the people posting seem to have some previous HD receiver. I was hoping I could modify the poll as comments came in, but I guess that would not be fair to the poll. ;)

I get all local digitals on my 811 and my Samsung SIRT351, to me they work exactly the same, no better, no worse, as far as signal reception.

I had good OTA reception prior to my 811 with a Pioneer SH-D505. My OTA reception is better with the 811. The 811 is worse than the 508 for SD DISH programming. My Samsung Sir-t351 worked as well as the 811 for OTA.

I had to tweek my setup some to get rid of the 49% problem I had on one channel (ironically the strongest full power station with antenna not far from house...5 miles).

811 reads 10% better on all digital channels now compared to my 6000. 811 also hold picture a *lot* better than the 6000 does now.

With the same antenna in the same location, the 811 gives me 3 more local OTA HD than my old Samsung SIRT151. However, with the Samsung, I never lost any station. With the 811, I get that dreadful 49% from time to time and have to use that view tv+info trick to get the stations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts