811 OTA problem?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Harry

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
Las Cruces, NM
Does not happen often (seems to go in streaks) but I have noticed that sometimes when I leave the 811 on OTA when I turn it off over night, it goes through the lost satellite signal thing the next morning. I either have to unplug it or go through the check switch process.

Is this one of the fixes coming? Does not happen very often but is frustrating when it does.

Harry said:
Does not happen often (seems to go in streaks) but I have noticed that sometimes when I leave the 811 on OTA when I turn it off over night, it goes through the lost satellite signal thing the next morning. I either have to unplug it or go through the check switch process.

Is this one of the fixes coming? Does not happen very often but is frustrating when it does.
What version software is it running? When my 811 was on 263, it did that every day... On version 264, it has not happened once.

I have also had this happen, actually it has happened daily for the last several days. Slows down watching TV when you first turn on the STB again, but not a major problem.

The thing that irritates me more is that our ABC-DT station has a signal strength of 85%+ but I get the 49%, unable to lock issue most times I try to watch it. How strong of a signal do you need for this not to be an issue?

Harry said:

There are still issues when going from OTA to EPG or satellite channels. When you power up, since you were previously on an OTA channel, it apparently has similar difficulty.

Broadband Lab Rat said:
What version software is it running? When my 811 was on 263, it did that every day... On version 264, it has not happened once.

My s/w ver. is 264. The guide works a lot better but that is about all. Overall, the 811 is ok but the dark video (HD & SD) needs work. We'll see what 265 does.

psuodu said:
I have also had this happen, actually it has happened daily for the last several days. Slows down watching TV when you first turn on the STB again, but not a major problem.

The thing that irritates me more is that our ABC-DT station has a signal strength of 85%+ but I get the 49%, unable to lock issue most times I try to watch it. How strong of a signal do you need for this not to be an issue?

The ABC affiliate here also has that issue. CBS and Fox come in like gang busters. Never seen a signal from NBC (although they say they are transmitting) and ABC hangs at 49%. They actually came for awhile then disappeared again. Both ABC's and NBC's ET's seemed like they could care less when I spoke to them. "Not that many sets or programs for us to worry about it". That's ok, most of their programming sucks anyway! :rolleyes:

Harry said:
In this case, it is the station.

In which case? Everything presented on this thread, in my experience, and that posted by other 811 users with OTA signal problems, points to the 811 as the culprit.

I used to have that problem with my local ABC station, KGO, until the recent 264 update. So, they managed to fix an issue that appeared to be only one station, yet was obviously the 811.

GaryPen said:
In which case? Everything presented on this thread, in my experience, and that posted by other 811 users with OTA signal problems, points to the 811 as the culprit.

I used to have that problem with my local ABC station, KGO, until the recent 264 update. So, they managed to fix an issue that appeared to be only one station, yet was obviously the 811.

I base this on my conversation with the station. They flat out said they are transmitting the minimal signal required right now and will increase the signal later this year or next. (I live approx 45 miles north of the transmitters) NBC said the same thing. CBS and Fox both have strong signals ~75 to 85 and they come in with no problem and the HD content is excellent. The local PBSHD station is also in the 80's and comes in excellent as well.

I did receive the ABC signal for a time after I placed an amp on the antenna when it fed dirctly into the 811. Am in the process of re-routing cables and the antenna now goes into a splitter and is used on the 811 leg only from the splitter. Because of the cable length and splitter, ABC does not come in as the signal is weakened even further with my current setup.

Seems that if the 811 senses any signal at all, it will show it at 49% if it is too weak to lock on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)