811 patch not till end of MAY! or LATER! (1 Viewer)

Ron2nd2nd

Thread Starter
Active SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 4, 2003
21
0
I e-mailed Dish this morning about when some of the problems are going to be addressed with the 811 like the Darkness and the OTA guide problem and when the next patch will be out. This is what I got.

"Thank you for your email correspondence. Our engineering department is aware of this issue and is currently working on a solution. The tentative release date of the software to fix this issue is the end of May 2004. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you."

Sincerely,

Tom H.

Technical Support

Dish Network
 

keith

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 11, 2003
216
0
:mad:

As much as I hate the waiting game, if P266 fixes the major bugs, my blood pressure will come back down. If P266 is a bust, I have a 6000 waiting on the shelf for subscription transfer and let's see what amends Dish will offer for us doomed 811 beta testers.

Keith.
 

long_time_DNC

Politically Incorrect
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 24, 2004
11,836
1,292
Pacific Northwest, where it rains a lot...
keith said:
:mad:

As much as I hate the waiting game, if P266 fixes the major bugs, my blood pressure will come back down. If P266 is a bust, I have a 6000 waiting on the shelf for subscription transfer and let's see what amends Dish will offer for us doomed 811 beta testers.

Keith.

I too am not fond of the waiting game, but if the end of May (or later) turns out to be true and P266 is indeed a bust, I'm not going to be a happy camper at all. :no Unfortunately, I don't have my 5000 (the guys took it when they installed the 811), and I don't have a 6000 (don't I wish!), so I guess I'll have to start do some serious complaining to them.

Joe
 

keith

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 11, 2003
216
0
long_time_DNC said:
...Unfortunately, I don't have my 5000 (the guys took it when they installed the 811), and I don't have a 6000 (don't I wish!)...
Joe


I purchased a 6000 specifically for when the P266 software upgrade does/doesn't fix the dark s-video problem. If the 811 dark image is fixed, I will sell the 6000 and break even on it. It's nice to have enough spare cash to buy the 6000 'insurance'. P266 also needs to fix the guide problem (guide is messed up after extended OTA viewing, often needing a reboot).

If those two problems are fixed, I can live with the 811. More reliable and speedy locking on OTA digital channels would be nice too.

I don't doubt that Dish can play around with parameters in the scaler and dac section to try and brighten the image, but if it has crushed blacks or poor dynamics or other new compromises, that won't wash. Don't give a d*mn about the addition of Dish Home Channel.

Keith.
 

WeeJavaDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 25, 2003
766
0
SoCal
keith said:
I don't doubt that Dish can play around with parameters in the scaler and dac section to try and brighten the image, but if it has crushed blacks or poor dynamics or other new compromises, that won't wash. Don't give a d*mn about the addition of Dish Home Channel.

Lets hope this is not the case. I also don't give a dam about Dish Home Channel. Don't use it much with my 508s and I would much rather trade that for stability and increased PQ.
 

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Supporting Founder
Which people would that be? Peter Pan? The Cowardly Lion? Superman?

I've yet to hear of actual real-life people report the problem fixed in the last release. Even Dish, who normally admits to nothing, admits there is a dark picture issue, not scheduled to be fixed until P266.
 

Juan

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
27,041
6,028
Moscow Russia
GaryPen said:
Which people would that be? Peter Pan? The Cowardly Lion? Superman?

I've yet to hear of actual real-life people report the problem fixed in the last release. Even Dish, who normally admits to nothing, admits there is a dark picture issue, not scheduled to be fixed until P266.
try reading the post above yours
:eek:
 

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
99,141
16,911
Newington, CT
It may actually go out before the end of May or after the end of May.

The entire thing is waiting for a fix of some of the OpenTV software.

From what I am told the Dark Picture on the 811 IS (I repeat IS) fixed with that software.
 

WeeJavaDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 25, 2003
766
0
SoCal
GaryPen said:
Is that on ALL outputs?

That would be my concern also Gary. Not sure if they feel that the Dark Output is only on the svideo and composite. Personally I think there are two issues.

1) Overall Dark video on Svideo and Componsite.
2) What is termed and crushed blacks on the DVI and Componsite. In light scenes things look great with my 811 but on the dark scenes I feel I loose too much detail. I do wish there was some way I could calibrate my GWII's DVI input.
 

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Supporting Founder
WeeJavaDude said:
I do wish there was some way I could calibrate my GWII's DVI input.

I believe there is. I raised the black level on my Sony direct view's DVI input just a scoshe through the service menu. It helps a little.

I'm looking forward to the 811 working correctly. (Or, I should say, better. I doubt it will ever work correctly.)
 

long_time_DNC

Politically Incorrect
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 24, 2004
11,836
1,292
Pacific Northwest, where it rains a lot...
keith said:
I purchased a 6000 specifically for when the P266 software upgrade does/doesn't fix the dark s-video problem. If the 811 dark image is fixed, I will sell the 6000 and break even on it. It's nice to have enough spare cash to buy the 6000 'insurance'. P266 also needs to fix the guide problem (guide is messed up after extended OTA viewing, often needing a reboot).

If those two problems are fixed, I can live with the 811. More reliable and speedy locking on OTA digital channels would be nice too.

I don't doubt that Dish can play around with parameters in the scaler and dac section to try and brighten the image, but if it has crushed blacks or poor dynamics or other new compromises, that won't wash. Don't give a d*mn about the addition of Dish Home Channel.

Keith.

Don't care about the Home Channel either, but if 266 fixes these other issues (the dark video and guide problems), and it sounds like it will be fixed with 266, then I'll be content with it.

Joe
 

smodak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jan 13, 2004
162
0
long_time_DNC said:
Don't care about the Home Channel either, but if 266 fixes these other issues (the dark video and guide problems), and it sounds like it will be fixed with 266, then I'll be content with it.

Joe
The stability issue is really annoying for me. :mad:
 

long_time_DNC

Politically Incorrect
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 24, 2004
11,836
1,292
Pacific Northwest, where it rains a lot...
smodak said:
The stability issue is really annoying for me. :mad:

Stability. The EPG issue and OTA issue or something else? I've noticed something else on my locals tonight. Sometimes the entire picture will jerk just slightly either up or down. It happens randomly and I haven't noticed it on anything but my locals yet. I haven't seen it happen a lot, so I'm not overly bothered by it yet.
 

ilaudio

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 5, 2003
42
0
Same Guy who told me end of April

I believe Tom H was the same guy 2 weeks ago that the fix would be here at the end of April. Maybe he meant 2005!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top