811 Picture Quality

Anyone using the SD outputs of the 811 on an SD television? Curious if there are any caveats to good performance and the downconverted HD display quality on such...the Voom boxes were great at downconverting/letterboxing the HD channels and wondering if the 811 will do the job as nicely.

shanewalker said:
Anyone using the SD outputs of the 811 on an SD television? Curious if there are any caveats to good performance and the downconverted HD display quality on such...the Voom boxes were great at downconverting/letterboxing the HD channels and wondering if the 811 will do the job as nicely.
Why would anyone do that? E* has lot's of SD receivers. Well, on second thought, maybe to get OTA locals.

Okay, is anyone doing that?

Yes, for the OTA. Also, with the HD premiums often running different selections and at OAR, it's nice to be able to watch them as well. Again, just something I quickly got used to with V*. And who knows, maybe I'll get another HD set when they get really cheap (in other words, anything to 'future proof' my 3rd room, er, until MPEG-4) :)...

Get a SD TV hook it up to your 811 via RCA cables and you will see that the 811's SD outputs are not any different than your 301, 311, 522, 510, 508 etc... I had to have a 27" CRT SD TV hooked up to my 811 for a week (TV was getting repaired) and the SD was just fine. (HD channels even looked fine on my SD TV) I guess the difference is in the TV, think about it the 811 is up-converting SD to HD and then your TV is showing all of the defects in the image. Better yet hook your VCR up to the SD connections record some SD content then play it on another TV and you will see that the image isn't any worse than it is on your 301.

Take a digital picture in low resolution and then blow it up to higher resolution and you will see the defects, I believe that this is very similar to what everyone is seeing with their HDTV's.

Much Better

Ok, hooked up the S-video cable, and SD picture from the 811 is much better and is similar to the 522 picture. I will just have to change the TV input when I want to watch HD, which is no problem.

Thanks for the help........

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts