811 Problems...

Weezknight

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Philly 'Burbs, PA
I'm sure I know where this is going but I'm hoping maybe it's not a big deal.

After a long weekend of using my 811 for the Olympics using OTA NBC local I started to get a very strange problem.

I went to switch from NBC to a non-OTA channel, when the picture froze and then the 811 went into reboot mode (Find satellite, download program guide).

Everything worked fine again the rest of the night. This morning I realized I had left it on overnight by accident and when I went to change the channel, the same thing happened twice in a row.

Everytime I noticed it was when I would "key in" the channel number or use the channel "up" or "down" buttons. If I went into the guide and used "select" then there were no problems.

Is this some problem with all 811's or am I in the beginning stages of a complete failure of the receiver?

I noticed similar problems with my 811. BTW, my system does this with just satellite signal and not OTA. It quite frequently has the picture freeze up, and audio either... 1.) continue on behind the frozen image or, 2.) loop a short passage repeatedly. When either happens, reboot as you described takes place. I have also noticed that while in "guide" mode, the system has frequent lock-ups.

I have had the 811 since they were first released via lease to subscribers. I have never really cared for the unit, and rather simply tolerated its "quirks" in order to watch HD. This weekend however after the latest round of 811 "bugs", (and hearing yet again from the family "what exactly do we pay extra and need this system for?”) I contacted Dish tech support to obtain a replacement unit. I am waiting to see if they replace the 811 with another 811, or provide a new (211) HD receiver.

Maybe I'll check the software version. I just remembered that 3.35 was going to be downloaded to some receivers. Hopefully that didn't cause the problem, since everything had been working nicely before.

I was having a similair problem after watching the olympics OTA via NBC. Mine was a little different though. If I had it on OTA for a long time, and changed channels, the guide would loose all it's info, and freeze. I could still watch all the channels, I just couldn't use the guide to access them. In order to get my guide working agian, I would have to do a soft reset. I had to do this 3-4 times over the weekend.

Last edited:
I don't usually turn off my 811 at night, and I've been having a similar problem forever. If I leave it on an off air channel for several hours or overnight it goes through the find sat download program guide routine. Figured it was just another 811 quirk. Maybe I should start turning it off at night.

I'm having the same problem with my 811. When I would try to change from my HD OTA to a Dish Hd channel the 811 would freeze then reboot. This happened 3 times over the weekend.

The 811 receivers run hot after being on for a long time the only time i ever had the problem that these members are haveing was when i left it on for days at a time.

But being as the problem seems to be over the weekend as stated it may not be the problem just stateing what i have ran acrossed in the past.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)