811 Remote Stopped Working

boonguyen

Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
Before I call Dish Network (argh!), can someone help me with my problem. All of a sudden, the remote on my 811 receiver stopped working. I know the batteries are good since the SAT button lights up. I cannot even power the receiver on with the remote. I have to work it manually by pressing the buttons on the front of the 811. HELP!

Welcome.

It is likely your remote and receiver are on different addresses. As I remember it:

Get the sysinfo screen up (power up, and press sysinfo or use menu-6-1-1.) Read the receiver address.

On the remote press and hold for say 5 sec the Sat button. Then press # and count the number of flashes of the Sat button. This is the remote address.

If you just want to get it working then press and hold the Sat button, press a number 1 to 15 or so, press #, and finally press record, maybe twice.

It's more complicated if you have multiple receivers or nearby neighbors. Make sure all other receivers are off. It's all in the manual but you need to hunt for it.

-Ken

I remember when sometimes I would install a 811 it would come factory with the remote addresses different. It wouldn't work until they where correct. I've also heard of them changing automatically for no reason so I think KKare may be right about the addresses being different.

can you have 2 remotes using the same transmitter to control a single box with 2 remotes? I have my DVR setup in my living room but I use it as a box upstairs in a bedroom as well and I ran COAX btw the two so the signal is split I just want to be able to have 2 remote control one box. Or can a 511 be controlled via IR or is it RF only?

KKlare said:
Welcome.

It is likely your remote and receiver are on different addresses. As I remember it:

Get the sysinfo screen up (power up, and press sysinfo or use menu-6-1-1.) Read the receiver address.

On the remote press and hold for say 5 sec the Sat button. Then press # and count the number of flashes of the Sat button. This is the remote address.

If you just want to get it working then press and hold the Sat button, press a number 1 to 15 or so, press #, and finally press record, maybe twice.

It's more complicated if you have multiple receivers or nearby neighbors. Make sure all other receivers are off. It's all in the manual but you need to hunt for it.

-Ken
Thanks so much. Your suggestion worked!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts