811 SD Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

radicom

Original poster
Feb 21, 2005
I am considering if upgrading to a 811 is a good option. Now I use a 301 for normal SDTV viewing on a Sony 50' rear LCD projector. The projector is neither a HDTV type of the latest with DVI nor component, but S-Video only which can do 480P at maximum. My question is that what will the SD on 811 look like on this type of older equipment? Would I have 16:9 480P output from 811 HD down scaling to SD? 811 brochure says it will downscale to 480i and no other detail so I cannot figure it out. Many thanks to those who can help.

s-video is only 480i. An 811 won't do anything for you, except you could view a few extra HD channels in SD quality.

First of all, the SD outputs of the 811 on a SD set look like a regular SD receiver! I had my 811 hooked up to a 27" tube TV for two weeks while my HD set was getting fixed. The picture quality was fine.

If you plan on upgrading to a HDTV, and you are buying the 811 now so you'll have it later, it would be ok. But, Dish is working on MPEG 4, and some new receivers are coming, the 942 (may or may not support or be upgradeble to support MPEG4) some time this year and I am sure some more next. It all depends on what you plan on doing, if you plan on upgrading your TV to a HD set in a month or two, it would be ok. But if you have no plans on doing it, it wouldn't be worth the money. If you plan on buying or leasing the 811 and it is going to be awhile, I'd go with the 522 instead right now, and then later after you get your TV, upgrade your receiver. (I think you have to wait a certain amount of time before changing your leased receiver). Either by leasing or if Dish offers the 942 for sale buy it.

480i SD from S-video output is fine for now. But the ultimate question is will S-video from 811 give me 16:9 picture content rather than 4:3 that my 301 is giving me, given that 811 is a HDTV receiver for HD content. I am more care about Dolby 5.1 and 16:9 rather than 480p, 720p, or 1080i. My 50' Sony KLW-9000 is capable to display at 16:9 fromat from my DVD player and HTPC for the last 5 years. I do not have plan to part from it soon.

radicom said:
480i SD from S-video output is fine for now. But the ultimate question is will S-video from 811 give me 16:9 picture content rather than 4:3 that my 301 is giving me, given that 811 is a HDTV receiver for HD content. I am more care about Dolby 5.1 and 16:9 rather than 480p, 720p, or 1080i. My 50' Sony KLW-9000 is capable to display at 16:9 fromat from my DVD player and HTPC for the last 5 years. I do not have plan to part from it soon.
If I understand the question, yes, the 811 can output SD in 16:9 in the HD/SD Stretch mode. Standard SD output on the 811 is still 4:3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts