811 setup question...

ankspatel

Aug 19, 2004
Hey Everyone...got a quick question about the 811 setup.

I have a Sony Hi-def TV that I bought about 2 years ago, its a 53 inch rear projection model #KP-53HS30. When I watch HD programming the everything is amazing, but my issue is with SD programming. My TV is 4:3 so I thought I'd be able to see the SD content in full screen, however, instead I get bars on both top and side...a black box around the picture. I tried to play with the HD setup and the * button along with page up and down, but I can't get it to work right. I suspect its because the TV is automatically detecting HD or 1080i input and then goes into 16:9 mode, but its there any way to have the 811 put out a 4:3 signal from the components when I'm watching SD programming??

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

--anks

K R Kimmel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
I'm guessing that the HS30 is a 4:3 HD-ready RPTV. First thing to try is changing the 811's aspect ratio (Menu-6-1-9). If this doesn't solve your problem check if your TV has any Zoom modes available on HD signals. You may need to consult your TV manual for this.

If the first two don't resolve your issue you may need to switch to the 811's SD outputs (I'd suggest the S-Video output) in order to view 4:3 material without the windowbox. See this thread for more info on the issue.

BOYCOTT26

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 2, 2003
Try using the page up key for changing aspect for HD and the page down
key for SD on your 811 remote instead of the * key.They changed it with
software release 2.80. :)

Directv HDTV picture quality v. 811

Devil's Advocate?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)