811/TNT-HD Dolby Digital problem

tried changing the crossover frequency on the sub

Ok, now I see that it happens on the TNT-HD and the CBS-HD station with deep sounds. Changing the frequency of the crossover helps but does not eliminate the problem. As well, if I turn off the sub completely, the problem is still there but only very slightly, now the deep sounds are reproduced by the other speakers, although the sound is much less annoying.

Something is going on with the DD decoding and the 811 in my opinion. I have an Onkyo HR500 receiver that decodes DD from my DVD player (have two of them, tried them both) without any problems what-so-ever. Even on DVD's with very deep bass sounds, the Onkyo does beautifully. I've never heard sound so crisp and clear. Yet, with the 811, everyhing with a deep base sound isn't being reproduced correctly. It almost sounds like wind noise from a mic like was mentioned by someone in an earlier post.

I've talked with DN about it and they (at least on of the CCSR's -clueless customer service representatives) claim there is no known issue with the 811 regarding DD.

I'm really stumped here. I've listened to DD on non-HD channels with the 811 and never noticed any problems. I guess I will have to start keeping track of what is and isn't working with the 811. I just don't use it that much as there really isn't anything on HD worth watching for me. I'm not going to subscribe to HBO and SHO just to get those two HD channels. ESPN-HD sucks rocks in my opinion. HDNET Movies keeps showing the same three movies over and over again. Discovery-HD took Insectia off the air, my kids look at me like it was my fault. TNT-HD has the worst HD conversions I've ever seen. Even their true HD signal pixelates more than any other HD signal I've seen on DN.

Hopefully, we can get this 811/DD 'thing' solved soon.

George -bub

Side note: Regarding the CCSR comment above, I've spoke with many very good DN people in the last 7 years, but for the most part, it is a complete crap shoot as to the information you get when you call support. What with the bad information and uninterested CSR's, I would have to rate DN's support as pretty bad, even though you can get them on the phone quite readily. What's the point if, after you get them on the phone, the information is bad? When dealing with DN, I just have never gotten the feeling I'm dealing with a reputable company. Just feels 'fly by night' to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts