811/TNT-HD Dolby Digital problem

bub

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 18, 2003
Howdy all,
I have the 811w/latest software and have absolutely no problems with DD and any of the HD channels so far. But, now with the addition of TNT-HD, I have a serious problem with DD on that channel only.

I hear a loud rumbling (not unlike the sound of rolling thunder) all the time and dropped audio w/pops and crackles some of the time. I can switch between Discovery-HD (or any other channel on the 811), absolutely perfect audio, and TNT-HD and immediately hear this problem. The rumbling is the same volume as the rest of the audio.

I've tried front panel reset and hard reboot, no solution. I've called DN tech and, surprise of all surprises, they claim the've never heard of this problem before, I'm the first and only one with this problem.

Does anybody else have this problem or have heard of it before? This has been going on since TNT-HD was launched, it's just that I've never had any reason to even watch TNT-HD (not going to watch movies edited with commercials, don't care if it in HD and in my opinion, TNT-HD is not very good anyways) until TNT took over NASCAR duties from NBC two weeks ago.

Thanks for any help or insight,
George -bub

my dolby digital is still working ok after the update, but TNT-HD is still having a voice to picture synching problem. Some shows it looks like a badly dubbed chinese movie.

Onkyo R500

Remember, I only get this problem on TNT-HD, not on any other channel.

After further 'testing', even on most TNT-HD broadcasts I do not have any problem. On the NASCAR broadcasts, I get the problem every time. Some of the commercials during the NASCAR broadcast have the problem and some don't.

If anybody has a minute, check out the Busch race tonight. I also get the out of sync audio as well, but only on the TNT-HD channel. But again, my audio is perfect on all the other HD channels as well as the non HD channels, the problem only happens on TNT-HD.

Thanks everybody,
George -bub

No DD problems with my Denon A/V preamp on TNT-HD. However, I was watching Tombstone earlier today and there were video freeze and jerkiness like I'd never seen before. I'd power off my 811 for a few seconds, turn it on and the jerkiness would be gone for about another 10-15 minutes. Eventually, it ceased doing it, but it was the worst I'd ever seen it.

I tried HBO-HD and Showtime-HD and they were both fine. Anyone else seeing this on TNT-HD?

Thanks!

video stutters w/811 here too

I would have reported my problems sooner but there just isn't enough HD programming available for me to really utilize the 811, c'mon Dish.

My audio is fine for all channels, even TNT-HD as long as I'm not watching NASCAR. If I remember correctly, even the NASCAR regional races that TNT shows has the audio problem too.

I've been seeing stuttering video lately as well with the 811. I haven't been paying any attention to which channels but I will note from now on. As well, when I shut off the receiver via remote and restart, stutters are gone but come back eventually. Sometimes the stutters are so bad that it looks like about 1 or 2 frames a second instead of 30.

Also, I lost my local NBC digital during the last firmware upgrade(?) with the dreaded 49%. I'm not too upset as that station was very underpowered and wasn't even broadcasting HDTV yet. But, I was getting 60-65% on that station before the latest software upgrade(?). Anybody have any insight on what causes this and/or how to resolve it?

Good week everybody,
George -bub

bub said:
I hear a loud rumbling (not unlike the sound of rolling thunder) all the time and dropped audio w/pops and crackles some of the time.

May be the loud rumbling is just the sound of those race cars ;-)

I do not have this problem with my HarmanKardon AVR325.

Ashoo

nope, sub isn't the problem

I've turned the sub down, even turned it off, the background rumbling is heard before the race while announcers are talking and comes from every speaker. Obviously, because it is a rumbling sound, the sub carries more of the signal so turning the sub off does alleviate the problem some but doesn't make the situation anywhere near tolerable.

I don't understand why all the other channels are perfectly clear, or even why TNT-HD is clear with the exception of the NASCAR broadcasts. If I watch NASCAR on TNT-SD, the sound is normal, of course no DD though.

I am really confused by this as you all are saying that your TNT-HD NASCAR DD sound is perfectly fine??? My receiver does an excellent job of decoding all other DD broadcasts except TNT-HD NASCAR so I have a hard time believing it is my receiver.

I guess I'm clueless at this point. Something is going on though with either the broadcast itself or DN's signal because I'm not the only one who sees severe video stuttering on the TNT-HD NASCAR broadcast, although I didn't see it during this last race but did see it on the Busch race Saturday night.

Good week all,
bub

I am saying that my TNT-HD DD 5.1 Nascar sound is perfectly fine. No rumbling, no pops, no clicks. If it wasn't I'd be one of the loudest complainer's.

I have experienced the video freezes and stuttering you describe. The freezes have started since they went to 3 HD stations per transponder. Grrrr.... The stuttering appears to be a 811 bug. Turning the 811 off/on or changing the channel and back temporarily cure the stutter.

BTW. What brand/model is your A/V receiver?

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
I am saying that my TNT-HD DD 5.1 Nascar sound is perfectly fine. No rumbling, no pops, no clicks. If it wasn't I'd be one of the loudest complainer's.

I wish I could say the same, however I have a similar problem with the rumbling. Like bub, it's really only noticeable on TNT-HD...and most noticeable on the NASCAR broadcasts. I'm using a two or three year old "top shelf" Yamaha receiver (can't remember the model for sure...RXV-1?) and Bose AM-10 speakers...so no actual sub - just the Bose module. The best solution I've found is to turn down the bass at the receiver and endure what's left of the rumbling. BTW, I have this problem on my 921, so it isn't a specific 811 problem.

I have no idea why only certain people experience this problem, but I'd wager that the problem is at the TNT-HD or E* end. Of course I do realize that any problem is never the fault of the user. :D

Larry said:
I wish I could say the same, however I have a similar problem with the rumbling. Like bub, it's really only noticeable on TNT-HD...and most noticeable on the NASCAR broadcasts. I'm using a two or three year old "top shelf" Yamaha receiver (can't remember the model for sure...RXV-1?) and Bose AM-10 speakers...so no actual sub - just the Bose module. The best solution I've found is to turn down the bass at the receiver and endure what's left of the rumbling. BTW, I have this problem on my 921, so it isn't a specific 811 problem.

I have no idea why only certain people experience this problem, but I'd wager that the problem is at the TNT-HD or E* end. Of course I do realize that any problem is never the fault of the user. :D

Hmmm. Looks like we are about to enter the realm of crossover frequencies, filtering and input levels. Discussions better suited to www.avsforum.com :)

Like I said, it's never the fault of the end user. Jeez, I wish I'd have never paid any attention to this thread. Now I've noticed the problem on Discovery HD as well (although not as pronounced). I suppose I'll have to get to the bottom of this now that I'm noticing it more. I guess it's just something else to put on my agenda. ;)

Onkyo R500

I only hear the rumbling on the TNT-HD broadcasts of NASCAR, both the regional races and on Saturday, the Busch race at Indy.

I think the video stuttering is getting worse lately.

I am hooked up via the toslink, if that matters.

Good week all,
George -bub

My receiver is the Onkyo R500

change sub cross over frequency seemed to help some...

Hey all,
Just a follow up... I changed the sub's cross over frequency from 120 to 100 and that did help somewhat with the rumbling I am hearing on the TNT-HD channel. It didn't stop the problem but did seem to diminish the rumbling. I guess I could go down to 80 to see if it helps further.

I still do not hear this rumbling on any other channel but I've now noticed that I DO hear it on other TNT-HD broadcasts, not just NASCAR.

Also, the video stuttering is very bad on TNT-HD. A quick on/off fixes the problem for a bit, but it always comes back eventually. I have never seen this stuttering on any other channel with the 811.

I have lost the NBC HD OTA feed due to the dreaded 49% problem, which I never had before the latest firmware from DN. An clues on how to deal with this?

Good weekend all,
George -bub

It sounds like TNT has certain frequencies "pumped up" and some users may not have a wide enough frequency response and are experiencing clipping or "bottoming out". If this was a pure TNT or 811 issue we would all have it. However I tested and can't duplicate this issue on any of the DD broadcasts; even with the bass maxed and volume at 1/2 level.

I noticed this problem very significantly on TNT HD during Robbie Knievel's jump a couple weeks ago. It was very annoying!! I just had assumed it had something to do with the wind on the aircraft carrier and where they had the mics stationed.

Ken

bub said:
Hey all,
Just a follow up... I changed the sub's cross over frequency from 120 to 100 and that did help somewhat with the rumbling I am hearing on the TNT-HD channel. It didn't stop the problem but did seem to diminish the rumbling. I guess I could go down to 80 to see if it helps further.

bub, on the setup for your A/V receiver do you have the option for setting speaker size? If so try setting your front, center and surround speakers to small.

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts