811 to 921/942 upgrade

CodePig

Original poster
Mar 6, 2004
Mammoth Lakes, California
I have a Dish 500 Quad with all 4 lines in use, one going to an 811 that I wish to upgrade to a 921 or 942.

What are my options to "split" the one sat feed into the two that the 921/942 need?

Does Dish have any trade-up offers going or planned soon?

Thanks...Ed

what are your other receivers that are using the dish pro quad? That info could determine wether or not you could use a dish pro plus twin lnb instead

The other option you have if you need to keep your Dish Pro Quad is to get a DPP44+ switch.

That will allow you to run one line from the switch to your 921/942 and use a DPP seperator to split the one line into two.

CodePig made no mention of DishPro so I assume his "Dish 500 Quad" is legacy.

To stay legacy and add a 5th tuner you would have to add 2 SW44 switches in parallel using splitters (diagram). Something similar can be done with 2 SW64s but it's even more complicated with the feed loads that have to be added.

Converting to DishPro would allow for a much simpler hookup, which way you go depends partly on the receivers you now have.

- If all receivers are DishPro, replace the Quad with a DP Quad and add a DP34. That gives you 6 tuner outputs but you will have to run 2 lines to any dual tuner receiver.

- If any receivers are legacy, or running an extra line to the dual tuner receiver is impractical, replace the Quad with a DP Twin and get the DPP44. Legacy receivers can be connected directly to a Plus switch w/o the $69 DP Adapter and dual-tuner models only need one line and the DPP Separator. Don't pay extra for the DPP Twin since you won't be able to use its input when going through an external switch.

Sorry...didn't realize the question was so g-d complicated!

I don't know if my dish is legacy or DishPro. Here's what I can see:

I don't see the word "DishPro" on the dish or LNBF anywhere. The dish says "Dish 500", the LNBF (twin, looking at 110 & 119 sats) says
"Dish Network Digital LNBF p/n 214-5100-454 Lot 0336"
and it's got 4 coax lines coming out of it. Can anyone tell me: Is it DishPro or legacy?

2 lines go to a 921.
1 line goes to a 510.
1 line goes to an 811.

I'd like to move the 921 to where the 811 is; 811 gets retired; buy new a 942.

No decent way to run a second physical line to the would-be 811 --> 921 location, so if I can't "split" that one existing feed, I can't do this particular upgrade until I move somewhere else.

Thanks again & Happy 4th...Ed.

First quick answer: You can't just split a satellite cable unless you are going to be using a dish pro plus set up (which would be a DPP44 or a DPPTwin LNB)

The current LNB you have is not dish pro.

But that's not real important, because I got a simple upgrade for you that just requires that you replace the LNB anyways (This is assuming that you also can retire the 510. OK?)

So with that being said, what you can get is a Dish Pro Plus Twin LNBF
http://www.dishstore.net/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=229

This LNB has 2 outputs, but each output can feed a dual tuner receiver with a single cable and a dish pro plus seperator

1 single cable where your 811 currently would be seperated into 2 cables and you can plug those 2 into the 921 that you want to move here.

Now where your going to place your 942 you'd just use one of those 2 cables that you had for the old spot of the 942, seperate it and plug 2 cables into the 942

Thanks, Bryan...I'm beginning to catch on.

I'd be hard-pressed to give up the 510, or at least the sat feed to that room. What else can you suggest under that constraint?

As a further constraint, if I keep my current legacy quad LNBF and cabling, is there *any* solution to driving a 921 from a single feed?

Thanks...Ed.

The 921 may work with only 1 feed, but you may have more problems. If you want to give it a try now since you can just by removing a cable and trying it out you can see how it goes.

I am facing the same decision as you, . Here's similar advice I got from another forum.

"Is this a Dish 500 for the core locations, and a Dish 300 for 148 (or 61.5)?

If so, just replace the LNB on the Dish 500 with Dishpro Plus Twin. The DPP twin has a built it switch with an input for the line from the DP LNB on your Dish 300, plus two outputs that can be used with either single or dual tuner receivers."

I like the idea of keeping the 510 too for SD recording on TV2, and freeing up diskspace on a 942 for HD only (or mostly).

Getting rid of the 510 would save $5 a month and all the functionality of which could be replaced by the 942. That would simplify the installation because you would only need a DPP Twin. You could try using diplexors to send the TV2 output of the 942 back down the satellite feed to the dish, through another diplexor, and back down the now unused 510 satellite feed.

If you wanted to keep the 510, you either need a DPP44 and a DP Twin LNB for three satellite feeds (one to each receiver) or some rewiring with two satellite feeds to the 942 and 921, as BobaBird said, "replace the Quad with a DP Quad and add a DP34. That gives you 6 tuner outputs but you will have to run 2 lines to any dual tuner receiver."

kavula said:
Getting rid of the 510 would save $5 a month and all the functionality of which could be replaced by the 942. That would simplify the installation because you would only need a DPP Twin. You could try using diplexors to send the TV2 output of the 942 back down the satellite feed to the dish, through another diplexor, and back down the now unused 510 satellite feed.

If you wanted to keep the 510, you either need a DPP44 and a DP Twin LNB for three satellite feeds (one to each receiver) or some rewiring with two satellite feeds to the 942 and 921, as BobaBird said, "replace the Quad with a DP Quad and add a DP34. That gives you 6 tuner outputs but you will have to run 2 lines to any dual tuner receiver."
The DPP44 is not pocket change. I am going more with using only the 942. And yes, having only one cable routed to each room does present a bit of problem with getting the 2nd output from the 942 routed to the original 510 input.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)