811 Upgrade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tac

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 12, 2003
Erie, PA
Has anyone had any luck upgrading an 811 to a 211/411 w/o having an installer bring out the box? I have called twice to get this upgrade and they tell me that the only way to upgrade is to have someone come out to install it. I really just want the box sent out to me and I can plug in the wires. Plus, I have "moved" and I don't want to change my "address" back or I will loose distants. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. It took 5 calls to finally speak to someone who spoke English!

Tac said:
Has anyone had any luck upgrading an 811 to a 211/411 w/o having an installer bring out the box? I have called twice to get this upgrade and they tell me that the only way to upgrade is to have someone come out to install it. I really just want the box sent out to me and I can plug in the wires. Plus, I have "moved" and I don't want to change my "address" back or I will loose distants. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. It took 5 calls to finally speak to someone who spoke English!

try the tech department, also if you have a HD box, they can send out the new 211 as a replacement and you mail them back your 811, the only way they HAVE to come out is if its a new box on the account!

How about upgrading an 811 to a ViP 211 purchased receiver? I just had DIsh installed last December & paid the $50 activation fee to avoid the 18 month committment. So, paying $49 to upgrade a receiver only 6 months old AND getting stuck with a new 18 month committment is a no-go for me. :mad:

But pricing a new 211 receiver on dishstore.net @ $234 seems more reasonable. Subtract the Dish $49 upgrade fee, the net is $185 with no committment, and the equipment belongs to me.

All I would need to do is connect the new 211 & call for activation, and then get an RMA to return the rented 811? The question is if my current dish is OK. It's a Dish 500 twin, pointed on 110 & 119. I want to switch to the HD Stand Alone Pak, with no locals & no SD programming. As I understand it the additional HD channels are on 110. So, my current dish should work OK?

Thanks!

CochiseGuy said:
How about upgrading an 811 to a ViP 211 purchased receiver? I just had DIsh installed last December & paid the $50 activation fee to avoid the 18 month committment. So, paying $49 to upgrade a receiver only 6 months old AND getting stuck with a new 18 month committment is a no-go for me. :mad:

But pricing a new 211 receiver on dishstore.net @ $234 seems more reasonable. Subtract the Dish $49 upgrade fee, the net is $185 with no committment, and the equipment belongs to me.

All I would need to do is connect the new 211 & call for activation, and then get an RMA to return the rented 811? The question is if my current dish is OK. It's a Dish 500 twin, pointed on 110 & 119. I want to switch to the HD Stand Alone Pak, with no locals & no SD programming. As I understand it the additional HD channels are on 110. So, my current dish should work OK?

Thanks!

sounds good expcept one thing, you will be missing the voom channels, and any otehr HD channels they decide to throw on wing satellites just something to think about. but also, if you are happy with the HD channels you recieve now, then if you buy the 211 I dont think they can make you upgrade to the new metal packs, could be wrong there but I dont think I am!

"As I understand it the additional HD channels are on 110. So, my current dish should work OK?"

The additional HD channels are on 61.5 and 129. You will need a Dish1000 or a wing dish pointed at one of these slots. You would be missing all of the Voom, ESPN2, Universal HD, and the new channels that are going to be uplinked.

teachsac said:
"As I understand it the additional HD channels are on 110. So, my current dish should work OK?"

The additional HD channels are on 61.5 and 129. You will need a Dish1000 or a wing dish pointed at one of these slots. You would be missing all of the Voom, ESPN2, Universal HD, and the new channels that are going to be uplinked.

Thanks. Yep, I dug deeper in the threads here and see that I will also need reception on 61.5 or 129. In looking at the Dish1000 PDF docs on DishStore, it looks like the Dish1000 should do it - peak it on 119 and 110 & 129 also come in. Anyone care to speculate if I just upgrade my dish to the 1000 if those add'l. HD channels on 129 would just start showing up on my 811 receiver? I know you're supposed to have one of the new mpeg4 receivers (211/622) to receive the HD channels included in one of the "metallic" packages, but as I understand it they haven't implemented mpeg4 transmission yet? And I'm paying the $9.99 "old" HD programming plan.

At any rate, my thinking is to upgrade my dish first, see what comes through the 811, and then upgrade to a 211 when/if necessary.

EDIT: I found the answer to my question "... if I just upgrade my dish to 1000 will those additonal HD channels just start showing up?", in the "new mpeg4 channels in HDLite" sticky forum:

Tom Bombadil said:
I KNEW that question was going to pop up any hour now.

It does in every new HD channel thread.

And the answer is always the same ... no new channels for old MPEG2 receivers!

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with tech support.....after being on hold for 15 min. he came back and told me that the code is not there to send out a 211, it has to come through an installer. He did tell me to try my local retailer....that does not work either. The local installer said that he only can do it if he installed the system and I can't come pick up the box, he would have to install it. Does anyone else have some suggestions? Any help appreciated.

Anyone know if the new HD channels are only available in the "metal" packages? If I buy a 211 to replace my 811, but keep my current HD programming (HD Pack), will they light up ESPN2, etc..., or do you need to upgrade programming as well?

Weezknight said:
Anyone know if the new HD channels are only available in the "metal" packages? If I buy a 211 to replace my 811, but keep my current HD programming (HD Pack), will they light up ESPN2, etc..., or do you need to upgrade programming as well?
I essentially tried to do that with my 622 upgrade and no, I did not get the new channels. I eventually upgraded from my old HD Pack/voom/AT60/locals to HD Bronze + locals to get all the same SD, PI, and local programming, and that added the 7 new "MPEG-4" channels for a total of 22 HD channels (and future ones to come), and saved $1.05 per month in the process! At first I was reluctant to let go of the HD Pack/voom since I knew I would never be able to get it back, but in the end I think I'm better off. The only thing I lost was I still had another month to go on my reduced-price HD Pack promotion (4.99/mo. vs. 9.99 reg.) but since I own the receiver and I now have a metallic package, I avoid the $6/mo. "HD enabling fee" that I was paying. I still have the 811 as a second HD receiver, costing me an extra leased receiver fee of $6 per mo. but there are no additional fees associated with it. I'm using it as SD only but it still receives the original 5 HD pack and 10 voom channels that are in MPEG-2...

Last edited:
On a similar note to that last, does anybody know if I were to upgrade one of my 811's to a 211 can I still keep my present programming (old HD pack/Voom/AT120/locals) and be able to get my HD locals on the new 211?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts