811 with or without HD package

erasmu

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2004
I have had my 811 nearly one year with the HD package. I seldom watch the few stations in that package. Most of the HD I watch is over the air. I have the HBO package and currently receive HBOHD. If I drop the HD package, will I still get HBOHD? I assume there would be no more difficulty in getting all the over the air channels I currenly get. I am leaning toward dropping the HD pack when my one year committment expires and I want to make sure that I fully understand the impact. I do not currently have any HD recording capability. Most of my recording is done with a 721 or with VCRs. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

erasmu said:
I have the HBO package and currently receive HBOHD. If I drop the HD package, will I still get HBOHD?
Yes. You will still get HBO-HD. You will also continue to receive your OTA digital SD and HD, as well as CBS-HD, if you have it.

FYI, DirecTV has added NBC-HD to their HD lineup, and is adding Fox-HD on Tuesday. (They are available in the same fashion as CBS-HD.)

Thanks for the information. If the HD recorders get more affordable and dependable, I would be interested in upgrading a receiver. As mentioned earlier, I just don't see a lot to offer in the current E* HD pack. Thanks again.

DirecTv is offering NBC HD where?

I just signed up for DishNetwork and found out I couldn't get CBS HD even though I live in an area where I can't get it OTA. They said I would need an additional satellite dish!
I am sure you regulars knew that but you would think when they offered me the HD pack they would have mentioned the additional dish!
What kind of HD future do you see for DishNetwork?
Should I wait it out ot go ahead and switch to DirecTV?
My TV has the built in HD tuner from DirecTV.
Rick in 73801

CBS-HD is not part of the HD Pack. It's is available to those who qualify and the Dish web site clearly states that a second dish may be required. If you subscribe to locals and have any that reside on 61.5 or 148 Dish will install the second dish at no charge.

NightRyder

After being with Dish Network for just shy of six years and having an old 5000 receiver with a bad remote I thought I would try and get an 811 as I have a HDTV system and wanted over the air digital TV signals as I don't subscribe to local channels.

After three phone calls I got a CSR to "give me" an 811 for a $50 install fee minus a $25 rebate and a $25 equipment return credit. After getting everything setup up, RMA number, credit charge authorization, etc. etc.....he comes back on the line and says I have to get the HDTV upgrade package for $10/mon which I did not want!! He gave me no option, I said goodbye.

How are people getting the 811 without buying the HD package? I came so close...I told them after 6 years with them an 811 wasn't asking for too much.

Thanks,

Lew

Welcome to satelliteGuys.

That is the requirement to lease the 811. Minimum subscription AT60 & HD pack.
If you buy the 811 at a reduced rate, you must get the HD pack for a year.
If you buy the 811 a full price. No programing commitment.

Those are the only choices.

After getting off the phone with the CSR yesterday because I didn't want to pay the $10 for the HD Package and was going to buy an 811 I realized that if I only had a one year obligation for the HD Pack that would be cheaper than buying an 811 on the street for $150-250. I called back DishNetwork today and now they are saying the other guy forgot to mention the $5/mon lease!!!!! He never mentioned it. Now they are telling me the "Dishing It Up" promotion ending this month requires the $10 HD pack AND a $5/mon lease. Even if I later cancelled the $10/mon HD pack package I would still have to pay the $5/mon forever.

After a LONG conversation and the CSR talked to three different coaches, he couldn't/wouldn't do more for me.

I asked how it was the guy yesterday was willing to "sell" me the 811 just for a HD package committment and they said he was wrong and I would have also seen the $5 charge on my bill.

Any more ideas on how to proceed here short of going on eBay and buying a used 811?

Thanks,

Lew

Unless the 811 is your only receiver, there is always a $5 ($4.98?) charge for an extra receiver. I think in the case of a lease this fee covers both. If that is correct, you only really have the HD pack charges for a year that are extra. Even if you buy the receiver on eBay, you will have to pay $5 a month for an additional receiver. It doesn't seem right, but that is the way it is. I have four receivers and pay $15 extra a month even though I own one and have the others on DHP.

Yes: 811 for $24.95 No: HD package (Don't ask, don't tell)

I don't know if I got lucky or what (Hope Charlie's not listening).

I got the 811 promo for $24.95 shipping (no other charge). I was replacing a 5000. The CSR implied that I would have to get the HD Pack.

However, when I activated the new receiver, and deactivated the old, she didn't mention the HD pack (and I didn't either). Three months afterwards, I still don't have the HD pack. Don't really want it, either.

Dishing it Up Package ending 10/31

I talked to a CSR last week and he was going to give me the receiver for free (no lease) with a $50/install fee covered by a $25 credit for the return of my 5000 and a $25 rebate, so in other words, it would be totally free.

Right when we were going to ink the deal he said I had to buy the HD Pack for $10/month and I said I didn't want to do that and cancelled the deal.

I called back again and the next CSR wouldn't give me that deal and in fact said I had to pay the $10/month AND $5/mon lease for the 811.

Called back again and the CSR said $10/month for HD Pack, $5/mon for lease and no deals on install, the full $50. He would give me $25 for my 5000 but it seems they are worth more then that on eBay.

Do I keep calling or what??? seems like I am going downhill instead of uphill??? Do I have to threaten to cancel the service? I have been with them almost 6 years and only got a free movie or two I forgot to take advantage of.

Lew

I guess the 4th call was the charm...

I have been trying to work a deal on a 811 for a week and have talked to 6 CSR's in four calls. Each one offered me something different and none as good as the first guy until I got to this last guy.

I am having to lease the 811 for $5/month with no programming commitment, and in fact, free HD Pack for 3 months. Instead of returning the 5000 I have for a credit I can install it in a second room at no charge so I can get the "free" 811 for the price of having a second outlet.

I am not big on leasing stuff but when I saw the best I could do on a 811 was $250 I quickly did the math and that is over 4 years of lease payments. In that time I can simply get rid of it and lease something different later on.

They are giving me a free install and will do whatever it takes to make me happy. Been with Dish almost 6 years so I am happy to get some cooperation after dealing with a bunch of yahoos...

Lew

Who's the yahoo? You're the one who caused yourself so much trouble because you couldn't do the math the first time. :haha

Pardon moi...

I got a far better deal the last time than I did in previous calls...the first one was better than the interim ones but $5/mon is better than $15/mon.

The yahoo comment mainly applied to the two call center CSRs who didn't even know what OTA meant and insisted over and over that they could only offer CBS-HD and when I asked over and over again about OTA digital broadcast reception they had no clue and were on the verge of telling me I was clueless. Despite reading (and re-reading) the 811 description on their site, they could not understand.