811/ Z2/ DVI Artifact?

nuneza

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2004
I have an 811 connected to a Sanyo Z2 projector through the DVI cable. When I am watching a HD channel either SAT or OTA the picture is great. But when I am viewing SD either OTA or SAT I get a small white line at the top of the screen. I assume this is an artifact but I don't have an extra DVI cable to test with. I don't have the same symptoms using Component Video. Any one have similar results?

nuneza said:
I have an 811 connected to a Sanyo Z2 projector through the DVI cable. When I am watching a HD channel either SAT or OTA the picture is great. But when I am viewing SD either OTA or SAT I get a small white line at the top of the screen. I assume this is an artifact but I don't have an extra DVI cable to test with. I don't have the same symptoms using Component Video. Any one have similar results?

I use DVI on my plasma. I do not get what you describe. My HD picture is great. My SD is good, probably as good as SD can be. I did have to go into HDTV setup on the 811 and adjust the position after I switched from component to DVI to move the picture to the right a bit. Maybe you could try that.

I think I've seen this too, but with a Sony 34xbr910 attached.

I recall doing a screen "calibration" using the HDTV setup screen in the menu.

IIRC you can adjust the picture position up/down/left right. This did NOT appear to affect the DVI output for HD content, but only the SD 4:3 image sent to the DVI.

I recall setting the channel to a 4:3 SD one, then going into the menu and getting to the HDTV setup display (6-1-?)? then adjusting the picture position to remove the offending white lines (Closed Captioning data transmitted in the normally unseen upper scan lines??)

Hope that helps, but then I might be barking up the wrong menu... :D

DVI vs. Component

Is there really a substantial difference in DS or HD quality between these?

Substantial? Not sure...

Difference? Yes, there has to be...

Lets get down to basics...

Component video out is an analog signal. It's carried over cables and as such is subject to "noise" (of varying degrees), depending upon cable length, cable impedance, the impedance mismatch of the input to the set... and a whole load of other factors. :sleeo

DVi is Digital all the way (if you use a true DVD-D cable and not the analog signal that's carried on a DVD-I cable). Either the signal is there, or it's not. no noise, no signal degradations.. :clap

Now consider this..

Dish is a fully MPEG-2 based system (digitized and sent as digital from the source). If you use component connections, then you introduce noise when creating the analog signal inside the receiver. Then you pick up extra noise in the cables to you set. Then you add noise in the set itself (especially if you run the input interlaced and the set digitises and makes a progressive picture). Result... you've added noise all the way. Could be a little, could be more? Who knows.. too many factors to consider.

Ok, what about DVI.

Well, the "signal" out the receiver is still digital, even into the back of the set, so the only place you could add noise, is in the set itself.

True, a Direct View set is by it's nature analog (electon guns and focusing screens and all that stuff is NOT digital), but I guess that if you're lucky enough to own either an LCD, Plasma or micromirror (TI's DLP technology) then you've got a "digital" picture generation mechansim.

However, I'll stick with my nice new 34XBR910 set. :love

The bottom line is that picture "quality" is always purely viewer subjective, or interpretive. We, as humans, don't have "perfect vision" anyway! :D

Hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)