811s (and sometimes 522s) reset during install...

ZandarKoad

Amish Satellite Technician
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
I searched the forums, thinking this would be a common problem. Maybe I missed it, but here's what I experience almost EVERY time I install an 811 (and maybe 5% of the time on 522s):

The check switch works great, super signal strengths. I cancel out of the signal strength screen, it asks me a question (about TV2 I think), I hit yes, then it goes the the software download progress indicator. It says "acquiring satellite" for about a minute, then it turns off and 2 minutes later, it's back to the signal strength screen.

Here are possible solutions I've run into. None of the make 100% sense.

1) Multiple front panel resets and hard resets: This works about 40% of the time, and is the most preferred method simply because it is the fastest.

2) Ungrounding/regrounding the system: Sounds CRAZY, but it works about 75% of the time. And it's not just me doing this. All the guys at my retailing shop think this is the way to get 811s to download the software. Why? CAUSE IT WORKS (mostl of the time. You simply reground the system after the download is done.

3) Run a check switch without the satellite feed disconnected (clear the matrix): I've only tried this twice, because it takes SOOO LONG. Once it worked (went through 50 of 50 for the check switch), the other time, it just sat at 1 of 1 during the check switch process for well over 15 minutes.

4) Run a dummy line from the 119 LNB directly to the reciever (skip the switch): I've never tried this yet. It was just suggested to me yesterday by a tech support representative.

Any more suggestions? Right now if I've got an 811 to install, I automatically assume it will take 30-45 minutes of additional screwing around to get it to download the software.

I download receivers the night before in my Laboratory (think Vincent Price:)). I have found that the 811's will consistantly reboot during the download when I use a DP Twin/SW34/119/110/61.5 setup. I also have a legacy feed. When I use the legacy feed the 811's always download without a problem. Go figure.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts