821/dual dp44/must-carry notes

passing_ships

Passing Ships
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area. CA
SanFran 921/Superdish/dual dp44/must-carry notes

I just upgraded my dual dp34 switch with dual dp44 switches and added a dish pointed at 148 for San Francisco must-carry local channels, to my existing superdish at 110,119,121. These are attached to a 921, a 6000, a 501, and a 4900.

It took several tries with the Dish installer as very few have seen this combination before. To save others the machinations and trials I have gone through, I have scribbled these notes for your edification:

1. The Satellite inputs to the DP44 have to be in the following order or you will have problems: 119, 110, 148, 121.

2. The 921 connection from the DP44 has to be through a separator. If you provide separate dual inputs to the 921, it fails to lock on to even transponders on 119.

3. Make sure to run "check switch" on every receiver.

4. The 921 and the 501 both have to be power-cord rebooted, otherwise they won't see many of the channels.

Of the above, #2 was the most counter-intuitive, but trust me, that is the only way that it works with the 921.

Good luck!

My 921 worked on two seperate feeds from the DPP44. Although since I had two feeds already running to it and a DP34 I use that for my 921 and my 522 and 721 use the DPP44 with seperators.

although correct( in most instances) on the 921 with a separator, I personally have never seen any problems with having the 121 on any of the sat in ports. The to receiver ports have restrictions for which ones certain legacy receivers can see all locations on though. We have done hundreds of DP 44plus switches up here because of the SD and Sky Angel, and have yet to run into any problems. The one at our store the 121 is on the 3rd input for 7 months with no problems to speak of

It misses the lower San Francisco local channels (from 2 upto 22 some of these are on 119)
Your local signal strengths may be different.

I swapped the two DP44 switches and then replaced both of them with 2 others with no difference - hence the confidence of my assertion.

Everything other than #2 I have seen stated elsewhere. Especially the 121 or 105 sat needing to be on port 4 (even if you don't have a sat for slot 3).

Must be a hit or miss issue, cause I just retested my 921 on two seperate feeds from my DP+44 and it worked fine, even sees the voom channels just fine.

well the point of the 44 switch was to incorpoate the fss signal for the 105 and 121 it can cause problem if not connected to the fourth port on the switch but as far as the other 3 ports the switch cant tell the difference-as far as having to run dual lines it will work with no problem the biggest problemi have found is people ( do it urselfers) using the wrong diplexors on the 44 switch for the back feed not realizing the the power inserted causes more power to pass thru