Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
As you might have heard, DISH has been doing a conversion to 8PSK of all is MPEG 2 channels. The conversion now is almost complete.

DISH is now warning folks that if their receivers have not been updated that their old non 8PSK receivers will be removed from their DISH account. The models of non 8PSK equipment that needs to be replaced include any 2700, 2800, 301, 3700, 3800, 3900, 4700, 4900, 501, 508 and 510 models.

DISH is also telling tech and retailers they may wish to consider upgrading customers to MPEG 4 receivers. Current MPEG4 Receivers include, The Hopper, Hopper with Sling, Joey, Super Joey, Wireless Joey, 722/722k, 622, 612, 222/222k, 211/211k/211z or 411.

So basically DISH will only support VIP or Hopper receivers now. That should really clean up a lot of time , having to support the old software for all those receivers going back to 96 and 97.

Reactions: navychop
Still good cheap solutions, considering PiA sometimes has to buy their equipment outright. It will need to be changed out in the future, but by that time, I assume we will be looking at the VIP equipment the way we look at SD equipment, wondering how people lived before HD, or maybe even UHD. We as a people grow so quickly.

Reactions: Troch77
Still good cheap solutions, considering PiA sometimes has to buy their equipment outright. It will need to be changed out in the future, but by that time, I assume we will be looking at the VIP equipment the way we look at SD equipment, wondering how people lived before HD, or maybe even UHD. We as a people grow so quickly.
Hey Chad , Now you will be able to definitely say VIP equipment is majority of the New installs.

I have a Hopper account and I even have a VIP.

But I also bet this change also boost the Hopper upgrades as well.

I'm not sure about boost. Most these hold outs will likely just want whatever the minimum equipment is to keep their service running. Anyone with a 3900 as a primary likely does not care about HD. I'm guessing older in age, CRT tv. Maybe they have a small 32" or smaller 720 cheapy. They won't want the hopper. Now that is just most, in my opinion. There will always be the customers that come back with "yea, I gotta switch? Then give me the best equipment ever since I have been with you for so long". I don't think they knew they could have upgraded years ago for free also. Would be cool if Dish did give customers with equipment 5+ years on their account a monthly message in their bill that they may qualify for a free upgrade, as a reminder or to inform. I think what is going to get the most hopper customers is the 722, as they fail with age, people will trickle into the hopper.. At this point. My other guess is when the next Hopper comes out, the HWS will be incredibly discounted, even for purchase, and will encourage more customers that way. I would love to see their quarterly and annual product trends and marketing trends for the last 10 years, and see what the patterns have been. The actual numbers, compared to highly educated guesses. Breakdown of equipment and tv's in different parts of the country and income levels(packaging decisions). There's more info, but to start off that is what I'd love to see for marketing segmentation and targets.

So, when exactly is the drop-dead date for the QPSK receivers? I still use a deactivated 501 for the few free channels left in QPSK, and to watch stuff that I have already recorded.

I'm not sure about boost. Most these hold outs will likely just want whatever the minimum equipment is to keep their service running.
Yep, I agree. I recall many complaints here about the switchover and people not even wanting to pay a DVR fee at all, let alone $12.

Reactions: pattykay
I can't believe there are any 2700/2800/3700/3900/4700/4900 still out there, those receivers date back to the 90's. I remember everyone getting excited when they rolled the interactive weather app out to them!

Reactions: Troch77
So why would you hear complaints about the switch over , when the receivers I just listed wouldn't cost a customer anything addtional to switch over is what I'm asking.
My point was to show that many people who were complaining about having to switch at all, were not willing to pay any extra for equipment fees, so most people went with the options you mentioned.

Was there a figure on how many customers acually had that old equipment?
I know Eastern arc customers have been Vip/Hopper only for years.

Was there a figure on how many customers acually had that old equipment?
I know Eastern arc customers have been Vip/Hopper only for years.
Yes and no. EA customers only looking at EA satellites. There are still a lot of international only customers that do not require locals, thus they stick to a WA+ dish. And as equipment.

Yes and no. EA customers only looking at EA satellites. There are still a lot of international only customers that do not require locals, thus they stick to a WA+ dish. And as equipment.
What a lot Chad?
1%
Most Eastern arc international installs require a wing dish.
No body uses 1000 Plus Dish on the East coast.
They use a 1000.4 and a wing.

The 129 is useless for HD anywhere in the Northeast.
The 72.7 would still be required.

I'm betting the percentage of international customers doing what I mentioned is greater than the 1% mentioned. I have seen and heard of a lot of people that have a 1000+ dish, and stick with 110/119/129/118.7. It's easier in cases as well, not to mention LOS issues. Remember, that is one thing Dish has over most providers, is their very large international availability(plus their online streaming option for the internationals, DishWorld). Either way, those customers can do a mixed arc, or settled with a much easier single arc solution. They have options, and with options come possibilities. I'd suspect a greater number of WA customers, over EA customers. There are also customers in EA locations with SD receivers and a Dish500. If you read their Dish Forum, or their Facebook page, you see quite a few of them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts