8VSB NOT included with $199 Dish 6000...per 5 CSR's

les017

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
per the CSR I just talked to. He also stated that these can not be ordered thru DISH until 09/16/03.
When I asked whether the 8VSB module was included for the $199 he pulled out a sheet and read it to me..."model 6000 for $199 which includes 8PSK but does not include 8VSB. This can be purchased seperately for $149"

anyone able to refute this info? Sorta casts a shadow on the deal now that it is $348, but in my case probably still worth it as a stop-gap for a possible 921 purchase by next summer.

:evil:

Yes, Charlie said something about there being a module in the receiver to which you could attach a local antenna but the slate they put up on the 6000 promo showed the 8PSK included but not the 8VSB.

Another example of "Charlie Speak."

Of course, a lot of people have no access to local DTV stations, live in bad reception areas and/or can't put up an OTA antenna anyway.

For only 50 more the 811 is sounding like a hell of a better deal, Isnt it just like charlie to overstate....perhaps an email quoting his chat would get the 8vsb thrown in...I am sure someone has the real ceo e-mail address.

I'll have to watch again, but from reading postings here and other places, I don't know that Charlie actually said that the 6000 had a OTA HD module for $199.

Actually, if you think about it, it's been sold without the module, which makes some sense. There are a lot of folks that might not want or need the OTA capablility.

I recorded the chat and after playing it back many times, here is what Charlie said, and what they showed:

"That (the model 6000) has a suggested retail price of four hundred ninety nine dollars for just the receiver. Now that receiver comes with the new module (8psk) in it so you don't have to worry about that, it also has a module in it that also allows you to get HD-TV from your local broadcasters so you can actually put up an off air antenna and you can actually receive your terrestrial broadcasting. Most people sell just the off air terrestrial broadcast (...mumbles something) for more than that".

Then they cut to the screen shot showing the special offer with the $499 MSRP plus $99 installation. Below that is the offer of $199 installed with a one year agreement to AT50 plus the HD package. Below that it shows a limit of one receiver and the offer begins 9/16/03 and ends 10/31/03.

That slick/slate does not mention either the 8psk or 8vsb modules. So it's anyone's guess as to what it will actually include.

I sent an e-mail to the CEO office asking is it or isn't it (8VSB) included and got:

I will have more information on the 15th or 16th concerning the 8-VSB module.

I had also sent in a question via the web site but I won't even bother posting that response. I asked about 8VSB and all they talked about was the 8PSK. So far it looks like we'll have to wait to see what someone actually gets in the mail if they order the special.

It will be interesting! BTW how many dish's will I need to get all available on the 6000. The Boston market requires 2 dishes to get all locals, I currently subscribe to Americas everything with locals, and I will of course be adding the HD package! (more movies less sports!) :shock:

Why not give the purchaser the option.

Purchase the 6000 with free install no 8VSB Module.
Purchase the 6000 with self install including 8VSB.

Actually there is no such thing as a free install. Employee salary and transportation costs will always be there. Those costs are included in the purchase price. You can jumble the numbers any way you like but a local retailer cannot afford to spend a significant amount of time on ventures that produce no revenue.

I don't know about the cost being included in the purchase price. I think its more in the service cost. Dish and DirecTV don't make money selling hardware, they make it selling HBO and Starz.

I paid $499 for my 6000 in June of 2000 and another $100 in November 2000 for the 8VSB module.

So the current special is still cheaper than I paid in the begining.

Another response from Dish on is it or isn't it.

After researching your inquiry, we do not have information at this time whether or not the 8VSB cartridge will be included as part of the $199.00 promotional price. Since the promotion is not available until 09/16/03, please contact our Customer Service Center at 1-800-333-3474 or visit the press release link on the website for additional details as the become available. We apologize that we cannot provide more information for you at this time. If you have any further questions, you may call our Customer Service Center at 1-800-333-3474.
[/b]

I think if it was said on the Charlie Chat that the module would be included then you should press it and say that it is false advertisement if they do not include it for $199.

6000&8VSB give dish a little chance to realize their mis

After corresponding with several people at dish and confirming with live voice telephone calls I have a feeling DISH is going to "do the right thing" This should make a lot of people very happy. It might not happen today or tomorrow but it should be soon. Thats all I can say for now...ciao

whether I lucked out or not, or whether E* is "doing the right thing" or not, all I know is...

...MINE CAME WITH 8VSB Yesterday

woo hoo!!!!

also included new DishPro lnbs for the 500 and the side sat, SW34, legacy adapter and went ahead and connected my 501 upstairs with all 3 sats...in addition to the existing 721 and new 6000 downstairs.

All for $149 with pre-pay of 1 year HD

les017 said:
whether I lucked out or not, or whether E* is "doing the right thing" or not, all I know is...

woo hoo!!!!

also included new DishPro lnbs for the 500 and the side sat, SW34, legacy adapter and went ahead and connected my 501 upstairs with all 3 sats...in addition to the existing 721 and new 6000 downstairs.

Normal Price:
6000 U w/8psk= $499
8VSB= $149
DishPro Twin= $79
DishPro Single= $34
Additional Receiver Hook-up=$59
Total= $820

I think you got a pretty good deal! :D

jssat said:
les017 said:

woo hoo!!!!

Normal Price:
6000 U w/8psk= $499
8VSB= $149
DishPro Twin= $79
DishPro Single= $34
Additional Receiver Hook-up=$59
Total= $820

I think you got a pretty good deal! :D

I forgot these!

SW34= $99
legacy adapter= $49

Total= $968

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)