90cm verses a 120cm dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GMFreak8

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
Adirondacks
Well I gave up on my plans for a 10' BUD, it was just too much hassle for right now. Not to mention that 95% of the stuff is out there on KU band already. I plan to eventually get a C-band dish, but until then, I'm getting get a package deal from sadoun.

My question is, I live in the northeast and sadoun recommends a 90cm dish. Would I notice any appreciable difference between a 90cm dish and a 120cm dish? Is 90cm dishes the minimum for the northeast?

Also, if I was to get a C-band dish down the road, and it was actuator controlled, what could I do to allow the one receiver to control both the C-band dish and the KU band dish?

That's all for now. I think I've gotten most of the other stuff figured out.

I'm probably going to pick up the M-3 Motorized Mercury II Blind Search Choice Set from sadoun on this page:  Motorized Free To Air Satellite system will allow you to move the dish to several satellites to watch more channels.  A powerful solution if your favorite channels are available over several satellites. The receiver's remote control will actually co

I was using a 33" dish here in Canada, and I could be most of what's out there, but it was marginal on many satellites (G10R's 11720 TP), and highly prone to atmospheric conditions. I now have a 39" dish and it makes a significant difference. I now get all of G10R all the time, and when weather is bad, it has to be really bad to lose signal. I say get the biggest dish that is practical and a motor to match it. The 39" steel dish is probably the biggest steel dish that should be used on an SG2100. After that, I think its a Stab HH120 they recommend.

I was using a 33" dish here in Canada, and I could be most of what's out there, but it was marginal on many satellites (G10R's 11720 TP), and highly prone to atmospheric conditions. I now have a 39" dish and it makes a significant difference. I now get all of G10R all the time, and when weather is bad, it has to be really bad to lose signal. I say get the biggest dish that is practical and a motor to match it. The 39" steel dish is probably the biggest steel dish that should be used on an SG2100. After that, I think its a Stab HH120 they recommend.

So a 100cm dish should do me ok?

Also, how would I go about connecting two receivers to one dish? I'd like to have one for upstairs and one for downstairs. Is that possible?

You can connect you dish to two locations but only one can control the motor.

To do so you need an LNB with at least dual outputs.

So for example in the first room you can move the dish to a satellite and watch any channel on the satellite and in the other room some one else can watch any other channels on same satellite as the first room.

I live in Southern California and I used to use a 36" dish and I could get almost everything, but a few feeds occasionally, so I upgraded to a 1.2 Meter dish and now I get everything. After the upgrade I see normally about 30% signal increase and in some cases much more.

Cool. Thanks for the information. :)

I think I'm gonna go with the 100cm dish. The 120cm really bumps the price up.

bigger is better,...but...

Part of the popularity of the 90cm dishes (36"), is that any bigger and the shipping gets way out of hand.
The carriers get greedy and charge a whole lot extra for the big box.
One example is, the 1.8m dish can often be bought and delivered for well less that the 1.0 or 1.2m models.
You can actually get two dishes shipped in the box for about the same as one, and some dealers offer to do that.

Part of the popularity of the 90cm dishes (36"), is that any bigger and the shipping gets way out of hand.
The carriers get greedy and charge a whole lot extra for the big box.
One example is, the 1.8m dish can often be bought and delivered for well less that the 1.0 or 1.2m models.
You can actually get two dishes shipped in the box for about the same as one, and some dealers offer to do that.

Well, I think I may be getting ready to order. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts