921 and OTA, no Dish HD programming

pobre

Original poster
May 16, 2007
Virginia
My previous set up was a 510 DVR with a Single LNB BS1H1UP201M, with only TV Globo a la carte. I am currently living in an apartment without Dish access, but will be moving this month. I would like to replace the 510 with a 921 that I own, keeping only TV Globo and using the 921 for OTA HD. Will this setup work with my current equipment? Will the BS1H1UP201M, which has two coax outputs, enable the 921 to watch one channel and record another at the same time?( I may add another Brazilian channel a la carte). Can I use the 921 on Dish without paying for HD programming? Will the 921 record OTA HD programming? Thanks for a great site!

Bump
Iceberg, any ideas?
My previous set up was a 510 DVR with a Single LNB BS1H1UP201M, with only TV Globo a la carte. I am currently living in an apartment without Dish access, but will be moving this month. I would like to replace the 510 with a 921 that I own, keeping only TV Globo and using the 921 for OTA HD. Will this setup work with my current equipment? Will the BS1H1UP201M, which has two coax outputs, enable the 921 to watch one channel and record another at the same time?( I may add another Brazilian channel a la carte). Can I use the 921 on Dish without paying for HD programming? Will the 921 record OTA HD programming? Thanks for a great site!

The 921 can no longer be actived for HD programing, I'm not sure if there is an additional charge in order to use the OTA. The 921 will record one OTA channel at a time but the OTA tuner is connected to one of the sat tuners so the options would be to record 1 OTA and 1 Sat channel or 2 Sat channels at the same time.

I believe the question is - Can he use the 921 as an OTA tuner without a subscription? I believe that it can be used, but you may have to still have it connected to a dish for it to boot properly. Give it a try.

I had hooked up my 921 before I had called to activate it. During that time, I could watch OTA programming, but the clock/date was all wrong on the 921. It wasn't until I called and activated it, till the clock/epg began to work.

So you may get it to work, but it may be awkward.

Thanks everyone for the information.
Cyclone,
Can you tell me how you hooked up the 921 and got it to display OTA without being activated on E*? I hooked mine up the other day and all I got was the "not authorized" message.

I had hooked up my 921 before I had called to activate it. During that time, I could watch OTA programming, but the clock/date was all wrong on the 921. It wasn't until I called and activated it, till the clock/epg began to work.

So you may get it to work, but it may be awkward.

Well, it just worked. Of course there were many software iterations since I first hooked it up. Its possible that the put this "authorization" requirement in after I had seen what I had seen.

I am still trying to figure out if I can use my existing single lnb - two coax outputs, non DishPro - with the 921 for only Int'l programming. E* tech support I needed a lnb marked DP, but is that true? If so, can I just buy a new lnb for my existing 18 inch dish? Please tell me what to buy - they don't call me "pobre" for nothin' :)

I am still trying to figure out if I can use my existing single lnb - two coax outputs, non DishPro - with the 921 for only Int'l programming. E* tech support I needed a lnb marked DP, but is that true? If so, can I just buy a new lnb for my existing 18 inch dish? Please tell me what to buy - they don't call me "pobre" for nothin' :)

The 921 will work with legacy equipment. Actually it will work with any type of dish equipment as long as all part are the same, ie: all legecy, all DP or all DPP. Some of the DP and DPP can be used together as well.

E* programming is now working fine. I hooked up my Comcast Cable connection, rabbit ears, and the rooftop building antenna to the 921, and using the "Scan DTV" feature I was unable to get even a single channel on any of those connections. I have checked antennaweb, and I know that another resident in the building is pulling local HD off of the Comcast feed directly into his tv. Would an amplifier help? Ideas?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)