Some RV Install questions not sure on some things

Aridon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 29, 2007
Ok we picked up a new travel trailer and I picked up this dish off Ebay:

eBay: DISH NETWORK 500 Satellite Tripod Kit RV Tailgating (item 280121400970 end time Jun-09-07 15:25:44 PDT)

The LNB on that dish has 2 single outputs, one for 110 and the other for 119.

The trailer has a SAT input on the outside which feeds the two TV locations inside. I have no idea if there is a switch inside the walls or some kind of splitter, my guess would be no.

My goal:

Set up two TVs, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. 2 receivers if possible, if not I could bring my 622 and rig some coax some how to the other location.

1. Do I need a switch? I'm guessing so as I'll need to combine both Sat signals to a single wire. Which switch?

2. Once I get the signal inside can I hook up 2 receivers to the same line? I'm guessing so and that if both are on I won't be able to switch to stations on a different Sat but if I'm watching something on 119 in the living room everything on 119 will be viewable in the bedroom. Is this correct? Or will having two receivers on a line screw things up some how?

I also have access to some older LNBs these are singles with 2 outputs for each sat. So I have 2 smaller LNBs one with 2 119 outputs and one with 2 110. Would using this somehow help me? Remember I only have the single input to the camper I could try to find where everything meets and install a switch there but that won't be very easy.

Any suggestions / help is greatly appreciated. I have searched but I'm confused about what switch I need and which LNBs would serve my needs better. Again thank you for your help!

Are you sure the tripod dish you have has individual 110 and 119 cables making it a Dish 500 and not a Dish 500 Pro?

The picture on the eBay entry is a Dish 500 Pro. A 500 Pro has a built in switch. Otherwise you will need a multi-switch to combine the 110 and 119 signals.

The odds are very high that the SAT input goes only to the living room area. SAT signals don't deal with multiple drops very well.

Depending on whether you have a Dish 500 and add a multi-switch or have a Dish 500 Pro, you can add a SAT cable input to the bedroom area and use two boxes

If you TV Antenna amplifier is in the living room, you could use a 622 and divert the bedroom antenna cable from the amplifier to the 2nd TV output of the 622. You could run the antenna the 622 or use a switch to move the cable between the amplifier and the 622. I do that so if we were boon-docking, we can turn off the 622 and still use the antenna.

With the 622, if you have a Dish 500 and add the multi switch, you can run one wire through the existing SAT input and then use a Dish splitter to feed the two 622 inputs. If you have a Dish 500 Pro, I would add a second SAT input and feed the 622 that way.

The LNB looks like this:

eBay: DISH NETWORK QUAD LNB LNBF LEGACY 4RECEIVER DISHNETWORK (item 280125013713 end time Jun-20-07 19:55:39 PDT)

The only difference is there are only 1 output on each side as opposed to two in that picture. Each is labeled, one has 110 and the other 119 so I'll go and pick up a switch.

Thank you for recommending the antenna plug, I'll try and use that with my 622's other tuner to get signal to the other room. I'll run to Best buy or CC to try and find the switch.

thanks for the information :)

Set up two TVs, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. 2 receivers if possible, if not I could bring my 622 and rig some coax some how to the other location.
If the LNB assembly on the dish isn't a DishPro Plus, stick one on there and you'll be done. Of course you'll get limited access to HD content, but that's another dish entirely.

The only difference is there are only 1 output on each side as opposed to two in that picture. Each is labeled, one has 110 and the other 119 so I'll go and pick up a switch.
All two satellite LNBs look essentially the same. The key is reading the words on the back side and telling us what it says. What you have is probably a DishPro Twin. You want a DishPro Plus Twin. I recently acquired one with a separator (the "splitter" for the ViP622) for under $40.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts