Not sure whats going on

mcasdorph

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
WV, USA
Ok, so I was away from my place for some time and got back and had to realign the dish which is mounted on a post in the yard. I have a 1000.2 EA and I had a strong signal on both 61.5 and 72. And I had locals on my package. I done away with the locals and bought a OTA antenna. Had strong signals and figured I'd save me some money. I am using those combiners that combine the sat and OTA signals so I have one out at my dish where I also have my little antenna and I have the single cable coming into my tiny house where I split them again and run them where they need to be on the VIP722. I had my OTA channels fine. Well, my satellite started dropping out the other night with partial signal and complete signal losses. I went out and it was barely cloudy and Im pretty sure no trees are the problem cause I never had fluctuating signal there even with strong winds. So eventually it went out and stayed out. Im pretty sure its not the alignment. Reason is, I started having issues with the red x's in the system info and I did a check switch and now its not detecting the LNB. So it just starts that running test # of 38 crap.. I know its only supposed to do a couple quick tests if I remember correctly when its working right. Installation summary doesn't show my lnb/switch at all. I also have a Western Arch LNB so I figured that would rule out a bad LNB if it didn't detect it, then that would point to the wiring.. So it didn't detect the WA LNB but oddly my OTA signals are coming in fine and are watchable on the OTA tuner on the receiver.

I checked the wiring with a multimeter to check for open circuit and issues where there was continuity between the center wire and outer and didn't find a problem with the cable but when I unhooked my OTA antenna, I found continuity between the inner wire and outer I thought I found my problem. I thought it may have been causing enough problems that would effect my satellite signal. So I left it unhooked and tried again, still not detecting the LNB.

So my question is, can use a multimeter to check for voltage at the dish by putting a wire that would normally go to the LNB and probing them. Is it still 19v or what should I look for? Im thinking since both LNBs werent detected that there is no power there or its the wiring.

Its possible this receiver is done for. The Hard drive is toast on the DVR and I contacted about a replacement but they want to do a new install and all that and I'd rather do my own install since I have a tiny house. They want to complicate it up for me..lol

I checked voltage and it was about 12-13 volts which I kinda remember being sbout the voltage needed to power the lnb. So maybe not the problem there. Could possibly be the short wire from LNB1 to the first combiner. I really dread taking that loose cause the screws originally stripped out and I had to use screws with nuts and drilled all the way through where the screws went and I dont feel like losing nuts in the dark tonight .lol

Reactions: charlesrshell
Apparently I made two posts. Im having data problems. If a mod could delete the other post for me.

See this is acting like its not detecting the lnb

IMG_20230829_202804.jpgIMG_20230829_202747.jpg

Ok, so I was away from my place for some time and got back and had to realign the dish which is mounted on a post in the yard. I have a 1000.2 EA and I had a strong signal on both 61.5 and 72. And I had locals on my package. I done away with the locals and bought a OTA antenna. Had strong signals and figured I'd save me some money. I am using those combiners that combine the sat and OTA signals so I have one out at my dish where I also have my little antenna and I have the single cable coming into my tiny house where I split them again and run them where they need to be on the VIP722. I had my OTA channels fine. Well, my satellite started dropping out the other night with partial signal and complete signal losses. I went out and it was barely cloudy and Im pretty sure no trees are the problem cause I never had fluctuating signal there even with strong winds. So eventually it went out and stayed out. Im pretty sure its not the alignment. Reason is, I started having issues with the red x's in the system info and I did a check switch and now its not detecting the LNB. So it just starts that running test # of 38 crap.. I know its only supposed to do a couple quick tests if I remember correctly when its working right. Installation summary doesn't show my lnb/switch at all. I also have a Western Arch LNB so I figured that would rule out a bad LNB if it didn't detect it, then that would point to the wiring.. So it didn't detect the WA LNB but oddly my OTA signals are coming in fine and are watchable on the OTA tuner on the receiver.

I checked the wiring with a multimeter to check for open circuit and issues where there was continuity between the center wire and outer and didn't find a problem with the cable but when I unhooked my OTA antenna, I found continuity between the inner wire and outer I thought I found my problem. I thought it may have been causing enough problems that would effect my satellite signal. So I left it unhooked and tried again, still not detecting the LNB.

So my question is, can use a multimeter to check for voltage at the dish by putting a wire that would normally go to the LNB and probing them. Is it still 19v or what should I look for? Im thinking since both LNBs werent detected that there is no power there or its the wiring.

Its possible this receiver is done for. The Hard drive is toast on the DVR and I contacted about a replacement but they want to do a new install and all that and I'd rather do my own install since I have a tiny house. They want to complicate it up for me..lol
Signal combiners?? You need Diplexers. Is that what you mean??
Are they set up right? ANT is from the Dish. UHF/VHF is from the OTA antenna. At the other end, the line from the In/Out connects to the In/Out on the 2nd Diplxer. The UHF/VHF goes to the OTA Module and the AND goes to the Seperator/Triplexer

Are they set up right? ANT is from the Dish. UHF/VHF is from the OTA antenna. At the other end, the line from the In/Out connects to the In/Out on the 2nd Diplxer. The UHF/VHF goes to the OTA Module and the AND goes to the Seperator/Triplexer

If the dish doesn't have signal it will not show a connected lnb/switch. So it can definitely be the alignment is out. If you have power at lnb and your wiring and connections aren't damaged anywhere and connected properly then it will be the alignment.
And as hipkat said you should have diplexors. Splitters should not be inline with the satellite signal.

Attachments

• IMG_1870.jpeg
    IMG_1870.jpeg
    14.8 KB · Views: 54
They
Yeah, everything was setup right. I used them before and I had the antenna going into the vhf/uhf side and on the one before the triplexer had it coming off going to the OTA on the STB. It was all working fine, scanned for OTA channels and got them and was using satellite as usual. It just kinda started screwing up days later randomly. I still had my OTA working but Dish channels were not. No signal, not detecting LNB. Doing Check Switch is not doing anything to help. Unplugged, did factory reset and nothing is getting. I have a spare 311 receiver I could hook to it and see if it detects the LNB. That would tell me its the receiver. But I have it stored away and I have a pretty bad cut on my hand I just washed and am caring for so I dont really want to go in a building to get it RN. Got 11 stitches and Im letting it get some air. Unless I wrap it long enough to get the other STB

If the dish doesn't have signal it will not show a connected lnb/switch. So it can definitely be the alignment is out. If you have power at lnb and your wiring and connections aren't damaged anywhere and connected properly then it will be the alignment.
And as hipkat said you should have diplexors. Splitters should not be inline with the satellite signal.
Yeah they are diplexers

Thanks for the replies guys. I actually removed the diplexers and ran it straight from the lnb to the Triplexer and ran a Check switch and still nothing. Almost has to be either the receiver or the cable connection. I do have a couple couplings/connectors in my cable run but I swapped them and nothing different. All these were in it when it was working, with strong signals, so Im kinda stumped. I dont have enough single piece of cable to eliminate the connectors

Bad LNBs?
That's what I originally thought. But I hooked a WA up to it and it still wasn't detecting it. Im starting to wonder about the three wires coming from the triplexer. I was having problems with port 2 not showing anything, then they all went..lmao. i took the short cable loose and it looked like it barely had any wire sticking out. Thought it may have had bad connection. I swapped it out and it didn't make a difference. Wonder how likely the triplexer going bad would be?

Just a thought, csn I bypass the Triplexer and hook the cable straight into input 1 on the receiver? Would that be a way to test if I have a bad triplexer. Im assuming the 2nd tuner is just for TV 2 or DVR correct (dont shoot me , I dont know all the technical stuff)

Ok. So after screwing with this all day long. I tried to bypass triplexer and removed the diplexers and switched lnbs and tried an old receiver (which had the same issue). I ended up bypassing one of my connections and running another couple cables directly to the dish. End result is the lnb is not dead. And got my satellites back. There was a problem in that old cable, still do not know exactly where but at least the receiver and lnb are not dead .lol