921 and 'the featureless reciever''...

JasonSyracuse

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
Syracuse, NY
I hooked up my first 921 for a customer today and had this problem:

I ran a check switch, and then the 921 went directly to programming. No software download or anything. I get my programming but when I try to go the guide or record or do anything other than change channels, it says 'The feature is currently being accessed by satellite, please wait a few moments or try again later.' or something like that.

I tried reseting the reciever back to the factory defaults but when I finally left the customer's house at 8pm it still couldn't perform any features.

So, seeing how I have limited experience with the 921's can someone give me a clue. Thanks.

It needs to take a software download.

If it does not take it, switch to PIP mode, then switch tuners and turn PIP off.

The download will take about an hour. (You can see it downloading in the software update section of the menu)

Once it is done, power off the unit via the power button on the front of the unit and it will install. :)

As a technician aren't there people at Dish you can call with problems like this?

You are aware that a new 921 can't take a software download through a DPP44 (with separator)?

I believe with the current software there also may be problems using a DPP44 without a separator (with separate lines).

I was able to get the download off the DPP44 using separate connections to each tuner. But had problems down the road until I picked up a separator for the puppy.

ok guys.... this is a common mis conception about the 921s that it will pop up with a download screen. when you do the inital install you will NOT!!!!!!!!!!! get a download screen like on a 522 or 311. When you install a 522 both tuners are in use tv 1 and tv2. when you install a 921 only one tuner is in intial use. the one you see on your tv.. give it 15 to twenty min and go into the system menus and you will see the download going.. cauz its taking the download off of the free tuner. Becase a 921 has two tuners and one output the only time that tuner will be in use is for recording and downloading. that is why you will not get the download screen. as far as the dpp 44 and seporator issue. i belive that has been resolved.. Will have to check up on it. if not let me know.

as far as features in the menu they wont be updated untill it gets the software update that is why you got that mesage

I have a DPP44 w/ seperator and Dish sent me a new 921 a couple of months ago. Right out of the box (with L053), the 921 saw 119 on BOTH tuners using the DPP44 w/ seperator. I did not run a check switch first. If you run a check switch, this will not work.

It downloaded and installed the software immediately.

Scott Greczkowski said:
It needs to take a software download.

If it does not take it, switch to PIP mode, then switch tuners and turn PIP off.

The download will take about an hour. (You can see it downloading in the software update section of the menu)

Once it is done, power off the unit via the power button on the front of the unit and it will install. :)

Is this a way to force an update of sw? I have an issue with my remote not working on RF and think maybe a dl of sw may help corect the isssue.Maybe not but worth a try I think.

Here's a wierd one for ya. My 921 wouldnt take L212. I called into Dish this morning and spoke with ATS. He told me someone would call me back with 48 hours. Two hours later, they called:

Well, someone called me back from the product development team (I believe), and after going through several reboots, switch checks, etc., she asked if I had a regular coax splitter. I told her I did, so she told me to replace the DPP Seperator with the splitter, turn the 921 off, and then wait to see what happens. She said she would call back in a couple of hours. She also confirmed that L212 was released to all 921s.

An hour or so went by, and nothing happened. I decided to run another check switch (with just the SPLITTER connected). It came up with 119 and a Red X for the transponders on the switch matrix screen. I verified that it could see 119 transponder 19. I powered it off and within 5 minutes it started downloading the software. After the blinking stopped, I waited for it to reboot. Then I put the DPP Seperator back in, ran a check switch and rebooted. All is good and I have L212 now.

So even if you only have one line from the DPP44 to begin with, stick a splitter on there! Change it out with the Seperator after it takes the download.

Dish just called me back and they said they have seen this a couple of other times. They think I probably have a bad seperator, so they are sending me a new one.

we have gotten past the download problem by removing any switches between 921 and dish, after directly hooking them up the reciever will take the download, every tech that has called with download problems on inital setup I have them remove the switch and We get it to download every time, Yes it takes longer but it always works for us.

David_Levin said:
As a technician aren't there people at Dish you can call with problems like this?

Well, I'm a installer for an independent retailer. Of course I could call Dish and chat with technical support, but honestly most of the time I get some indian chick reading a flow chart. (No thanks.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts