921 Back for sale at Costco. Very limited!

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
You may recall I work for Costco. Well we just got a new shipment in of 921's not every werehouse got them. Most got approx 10 and still at 489.00

Won't they become obsolete and just plain won't work when E* goes MPEG4 in late 2005.I can't see spending a dime on new equipment until that transpires.

obsolete is a strong word. True a 921 will not be the latest and greatest when mpeg-4 rolls out, but its not like they will overnight stop working, they will still work for a long time. Its not like they will turn off millions of customers recievers and expect them to run out and buy a new one.....

They never came to my Costco and I don't think they ever one. I don't think I was gonna buy one just wanted to actually see it ;)

Most of the HD I record is OTA at the moment. An HD DVR for $500 doesn't sound bad. I paid much more for mine. Dish "said" (I realize how little that means.) that the MPEG4 would initially be used for new HD content. I think that may mean that existing HD content will not be switched for some period of time. Given Dish's proven track record for being way behind schedule, I believe the 921 will be very valuable for more than another year. I think that its value for OTA recording will last for a few years. Just my opinion.

That's what's worst about the 921 and 942 they only have 1 OTA tuner, so you can't even record 2 networks at once, which would be the biggest use, what a waste...

I can't get zip OTA...antennaweb.org only shows me 1 HD station I can get OTA, so what would be the point? I've got a big hill north of me, so I'm surprised that antennaweb even says I can get that one. Consequently, in order to get more HD, I either 1) wait for E* to get more HD going, 2) switch to D* or 3) go back to Comcast cable.

Option 2 isn't particularly distasteful except that D* isn't offering all that much more HD. Option 3 wouldn't be bad since their DVR is exceptional from what friends tell me and all 3 major networks are available in HD, but their SD is hideous and their prices are absurd.

So, I'm sitting here, wishing E* would get off the stick and do something...

Holy cow, batman!

OTA is the worst thing about the 921. That's the part that is the least reliable and most commonly related to lockups, reboots, etc. If you really count on OTA - the 921 is the last receiver on the planet I'd be considering.

erasmu said:
Most of the HD I record is OTA at the moment. An HD DVR for $500 doesn't sound bad. I paid much more for mine. Dish "said" (I realize how little that means.) that the MPEG4 would initially be used for new HD content. I think that may mean that existing HD content will not be switched for some period of time. Given Dish's proven track record for being way behind schedule, I believe the 921 will be very valuable for more than another year. I think that its value for OTA recording will last for a few years. Just my opinion.

I called Dish today wondering how much it would cost for me to get out of the 2 year contract I foolishly went with them on for my 510PVR. They said $240 if I wanted to cancel! :eek: Luckily the contract expires in November.

I want out because my cable company (Adelphia) leases a HD-PVR for $12.95 a month. Why Dish doesn't do this with the 921 I don't know but I'm getting very tired of their silly PVR games. $5.00 a month to lease the 522, another $5 a month for the ridiculous so called DVR fee, and still another $5 a month for me not having it connected to a phone line because my broadband phone jack is too far away :rolleyes:. $2 a month more than what the HD PVR from Adelphia costs.

I love the Dish PQ and lack of advertising on their guides, but I'll be leaving them in November unless they start leasing the 942's by then.