921 Dishwire...

If you have enough money to spend on two 921s and two HDTVs then I think we should all be expecting xmas presents from you this year.

Don't count on a such a feature as less than %0.00001 of customers will ever use it. What'd be cool is be able to send programs to someone else's 921 over a broadband connection. :)

HookedOnTV said:
To share recordings. Hate when I record something in the bedroom and want to watch it in the living room.

OK. Simple solution. Two 921s set to the same remote code. Use the UHF on the remote to set up the recording on one unit (while the other unit is also powered on), and voila, both units get set up for the recording. In fact, do this for all recordings and you've got the same content on the hard drives of both units. Then, it won't make any difference where you want to watch, you have the same content available at both locations. This sounds a lot easier than trying to string a long Firewire cable from one room to the other, especially if they are on different floors. I don't know how long a Firewire cable can be, but the longest one I've seen as been about 12 feet in length. I don't know if a 50 or 100 foot cable, which is what you might need to go from one room to another, even exists or would work.

HookedOnTV said:
To share recordings. Hate when I record something in the bedroom and want to watch it in the living room.

When i recently moved, I set up my 508 PVR and 57" TV in the rec room in the basement. I also wanted to be able to watch and control the PVR from the master bedroom 2 floors up. I initially asked the install tech if he could run another cable from the TV OUT on the PVR all the way up to my bedroom. Instead, he told me about a Diplexer. The install tech hooked up the coax TV out from my 508 to a Diplexer and somehow or another, the signal is directed to the cable outlet/jack in the master bedroom. So all i had to do is run a coax from the wall to my TV in the bedroom. i bought an extra platinum remote so i wouldn't have to run up 2 flights of stairs in case i forgot the remote. Now, i can do all the pvr stuff from either the rec room or from the master bedroom.

Jerry G said:
OK. Simple solution. Two 921s set to the same remote code. Use the UHF on the remote to set up the recording on one unit (while the other unit is also powered on), and voila, both units get set up for the recording. In fact, do this for all recordings and you've got the same content on the hard drives of both units. Then, it won't make any difference where you want to watch, you have the same content available at both locations. This sounds a lot easier than trying to string a long Firewire cable from one room to the other, especially if they are on different floors. I don't know how long a Firewire cable can be, but the longest one I've seen as been about 12 feet in length. I don't know if a 50 or 100 foot cable, which is what you might need to go from one room to another, even exists or would work.

Problem is most of our recordings would be coming from the OTA, with only one OTA tuner it is not possible to watch one show while recording another without two 921's. Sure, you could go with a 811 or 6000 as one unit for watchig live and the 921 for recording but then you loose those great features like pause and rewind.

Now if they support a firewire hard rive that could be moved from one 921 to the other that would work too (probably won't happen either).

Thing is I love the idea of a central storage mechanism with the ability to view from multiple locations throughout the house.

Wait... I know: four 921's! :D

As I understand, DishWire is not a full implemenmtation of the IEEE1394 standard. It is only accessable for a transfer of hard drive content dump to the DVHS recognized VCR. I was told that the Dishwire would NOT allow DVHS playback from the VCR. Meaning that as of this date, only the JVC design that included an encoder for Component analog playback. The tapes you decide to record from the the 921's hard drive would be playable only via hookup of the VCR by component to your monitor, not through the Dishwire on the 921. In a true 1394 implementation, this would be a bi-directional and the 921 would receive DVHS signal for playback.

In my conversation with the Eldon engineer I was told that the above was the very reason that the Mitsubishi DVHS VCR was a problem to implement because the VCR had no way to connect for playback as the 921 ishwire design would not permit this. Therefore if the MIts DVHS VCR were to have control implemented in the 921, your system would require some other way, such as the Mitsubishi monitor with Firewire VCR connection for playback. It was said that they were talking to Mitsubishi about this.

What about the future? My own guess is that some day, E* may decide to develop a full hard drive 1394 networking with their dishwire portal. This would permit a network of daisy chained external hard drives you could add as desired to the 921 for near limitless hours of record and storage.

In case any of you are not familiar with 1394 networking, this is the slickest way to add as many hard drives as you need. In windows, it seems to be limited to the number of drive letters you can assign. I have closed to two terrabytes in my video edit suite now using 160G and 200G hard drives.
Connection and removal is as slick as greased lightning. All E* needs to do is modify their software to allow full 1394 networking with 5C and then Who needs DVHS? All your archives would be in juke box style, on demand and no tapes on the shelf.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts