921 fan is running 24/7

voodooevil

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
North Carolina, USA
Hello.
I just purchased my 921. I am very happy with it, except for one thing. The fan is always running, even if the power to the receiver is OFF. The dish network tech support says this is normal. I cant see how it would be. Why would a fan be needed to cool of something that is not being used? It never shuts off.

Can any one comment on this. Thanks...Joe :confused:

That is normal, but it should not be. Other Dish PVR's shut down when not in use. Perhaps a software upgrade will add fan shut down. Also, the 921 is noisy. I purchased one in November, and the noise has been very annoying. Yesterday, I received a replacement 921, and the noise level is lower, and more acceptable. Though, it isn't as quiet as my good old reliable 501.

Hopefully they will fix this in a future software upgrade.

I know most DVRs fully shut down when the power button is pushed.

mwgiii said:
I know most DVRs fully shut down when the power button is pushed.
Then you know wrong.

DVRs NEVER "fully shut down". They go into stand-by and wake up whenever a timer pops or an update is needed.

voodooevil said:
Hello.
I just purchased my 921. I am very happy with it, except for one thing. The fan is always running, even if the power to the receiver is OFF. The dish network tech support says this is normal. I cant see how it would be. Why would a fan be needed to cool of something that is not being used? It never shuts off.

Can any one comment on this. Thanks...Joe :confused:

It's a small price to pay. Deal with it and move on. If it's that big of a problem for ya. Wire up a turn-off switch to the fan, or a controller like this. http://www.xoxide.com/fanmate.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)