921 Free Dish deal

xne8786

Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
921 Free Dish offer? Any retailers?

Anybody know of any Dish Network retailers that are offering the 921/311/311 "free dish" offer for $249 with 2 year committment besides vssll.com?

I've checked with several others and they will only deal with the DHA offers.

I am new dish subscriber and would also need to purchase 2 additional 311 receivers from the same retailer. I can also install myself if free installation is not available.

Thanks in advance and please no flaming - this is my first post :)

Have you tried calling dish directly? I know they currently offer a 2 room deal where you own the equipment (pay up front and get reimbursed, see http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/getdish/overview/index.shtml).

At the very least that would get you the dish(es) and two receivers if they wont let you add the 3rd up front. If that was the case then you might need to add a dp34 switch, some cable, and your extra 311. Depending on where you are located, you might end up with the switch up front, or if the right lnbf (dp quad) is on the dish, you may not need it at all.

I just signed up for the $249/921 promotion about two weeks ago. I'm not sure where I first heard about it....it might have been on one the recent "charlie chats". To answer your question...I just went to my local Dish retailer/agent here in South Florida and asked if they knew anything about it and they replied No. When I told them I had heard about it they made one phone call and found out that there WAS a 921 promotion and that was basically it. I signed up then and there and they came out to install it 3 days later. I really wanted to get the Superdish with the 121 bird on it but in order to have that included I had to add a "international package" to my deal. ($9.99/month extra). I did not hear anything about (2) 311's to go with it? Just the 921 with dish and installation for either a 1 or 2 year commitment. The great part is you
OWN the 921 after the first 12 months. So for an initial $200 investment(you get back $49) and subbing to a basic package plus $9.99 for HD the package.....you get to own a 921!
So far I am really happy with it. It is an awsome receiver and the picture on my Sony XBR is outrageous. The DVR portion of the unit is a pleasure to use and the channel guide is great. I am still learning to use all the features. As a.johnson said, you can probbably just call DISH and they will hook you up. Good Luck!

I'm also strongly considering getting in on the $200 free dish deal for the 921, but first I have a few questions.

First, who else offers the deal? I've found only VSSLL so far, but I'd probably feel better about ordering from DishStore.net, or even from Dish directly. Most places seem to only advertise DHA right now, and those that list free dish offers don't give you the 921 offer.

Second, I see that the 921 and 921+311 would cost the same. Is there any downside to getting the 311 also? Will I be required to keep the 311 activated (and pay an extra $5/mo) for the full 12 months? I don't have a need for a second receiver right now, but it'd be nice to have in the closet incase I need it in the future. I assume that if I go with the 921+311 I'd get a DP34 switch as well to support the 3 tuners.

Third, how does Club Dish factor into all of this? I don't have a Club Dish card infront of me to read the details right now now, but I believe I can get one.

Fourth, it looks like the free dish promotion requires signing up for CC autopay. Is this the case, or can I get away without that? Given some of the horror stories, I'd rather not give Dish a way to charge me before I have a chance review the bill. In general I like pushing payments, rather than having companies pull payments anyways.

Last, if someone would indulge me, I seem to recall that the 921 will not output on the RF when in HD mode. Is there a button to easily switch between SD and HD? I plan on feeding the bedroom TV from the RF out of the 921, so being able to enable the RF out without physically pushing a button on the 921 would be most helpful.

I see that free dish is ending at the end of the month, so it looks like I need to get moving to get in on this.
With my cable rate going up again in January, AT60+HD+DVR fee is still cheaper than what I'd pay for standard cable. And I'd get some HD channels and a DVR out of the deal. Hard to resist that...

Thanks in advance,
-- Dave

Each 311 you get free at installation will add $5. to your monthly bill, so each will end up costing you $60. a year. You are signing a contract to keep them all fired up for 12 months.

New receivers sell for $99. + S&H. Hooking up a 921 solo would use both ports on the LNB, so if you add receivers later, you'd have to upgrade hardware there as well. Initial multiple receivers will get you a DP quad LNB off the bat.

We retailers HATE Club Dish. We get penalized $50. off the top when you use one. You don't need it to get service.

CC auto pay is an option offered by Dish. We retailers like to see you sign up for it; it cuts down on our chargeback risks. But it's up to you. I personally don't have my Dish or Direct bill on autopay.

I recommend a second receiver rather than piggy backing to another room. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the info, Red.
So if I understand correctly, by getting the 921+311 deal I end up on the hook for $60 more, but I get to own a DP34 and 311 out of it. $60 is a pretty good price for DP34+311, by my estimation, so I'd probably do that. Only a new customer once, might as well take advantage of it while the getting's good.

My recollection of the Club Dish promotion was that I got a small discount, and whoever I got the card from got a small kickback as well. Are you saying that Dish doesn't reimburse the retailers for that discount? That's kind of a raw deal that they give out the promotion, and you have to eat the cost.
How does any of that change if I order directly from Dish? Can I still use Club Dish that way, or is that retailer only?

Thanks again,
-- Dave

He's only talking about an extra $60 in yearly charges on your bill for each additional receiver (4.99 x 12) There's nothing else up front. And you'll only get a DP34 if you add 3 311s. 2 311s and a 921 will fit on a DP quad.

You can go ahead and still use club dish, he really shouldn't be telling you about dealer hates, cause that's their problem, not yours. What the club dish does is remove the $49 dollar start up fee and the friend get's a $5 discount each month. But you'd have to use a retailer to get the Free Dish deal cause Dish doesn't offer it directly.

I've also had no problems with cc auto pay, it's a really nice system, so don't worry about it.

He's only talking about an extra $60 in yearly charges on your bill for each additional receiver (4.99 x 12) There's nothing else up front.
understood.

And you'll only get a DP34 if you add 3 311s. 2 311s and a 921 will fit on a DP quad.
So you're saying that these days a Dish500 comes with a DP quad LNB, which supports 4 tuners? Is that all Dish500's, or only those on installations which require more than 2 tuners? I was under the impression that I'd get a DP twin, which would mean that I'd need a DP34 to support more than 2 tuners.

What the club dish does is remove the $49 dollar start up fee and the friend get's a $5 discount each month.
My understanding of the Free Dish promotion was that I'd be charged $250, and then have $50 refunded on my first bill, making my net cost $200. So with Club Dish ontop of that, my net cost would be $150 ($200-$50), right?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to get a firm handle on what all my options are before I order. I find it's easier to deal with things ahead of time rather than after something is screwed up.

-- Dave

or only those on installations which require more than 2 tuners?
Correct. If you only need 2 inputs you get a twin. If you need 3 or 4 you get a quad. If you need more than four then it's a DP34. But with most of all these promos, they are set up so you only use a max of 4 inputs alyways, so you wouldn't be getting a DP34. But contrary to what I said before, the 921 Free Dish Promo only includes (1) 921 and (1) 311, anything more is extra.

My understanding of the Free Dish promotion was that I'd be charged $250, and then have $50 refunded on my first bill, making my net cost $200. So with Club Dish ontop of that, my net cost would be $150 ($200-$50), right?
Correct.

Correct. If you only need 2 inputs you get a twin. If you need 3 or 4 you get a quad. If you need more than four then it's a DP34.
Hrm, so I if I got just the 921 I'd need either and LNB upgrade or a switch if I later decided to get another receiver. I suppose Dish might offer that upgrade free, but I hate to count on the kindness of a corporation.

How about another hypothetical. If I were to order locals as well I'd need a SuperDish (locals are on 121), which I assume means I'd need a DP34 switch even with just 2 tuners. That would help future-proof me. Would I be under contract for locals for the full 12 months as part of that, or would I be able to cancel locals after a month?

I wasn't originally planning on ordering locals as the 921 can tune them OTA free (with caveats). But, if it's a better option from an equipment standpoint then I'd consider it.

-- Dave

Oh yeah if locals are on 121 it will get you a superdish with a DP34, go for that. I do believe you do need to keep locals, but it's always good to have a back up any way, with the kind of OTA Digital havoks I encounter.

I was looking at the specs on the DVR 921. It appears that I can connect both of my HDTVs up to this one receiver. UPDATE: Scratch that...maybe not.

My Toshiba 34" HDTV has a HDMI output. It appears by the diagram that this does not have the HDMI output. I thought HDMI was the new standard? Any idea if Dish will put a HDTV receiver with DVR with a HDMI output?

Unfortunately, my Toshiba only has S video or the HDMI...not the DVI that is on the DVR 921.

My Dell 17" LCD in the bedroom has S video...but since it appears that the 921 only supports one TV, I would have to purchase a receiver for both TVs.

Do I really want to go back to cable? Eeewww.

As an existing Dish subscriber with AEP and HD Package on my 6000, are there any deals for the 921 available to me? I have a two dish setup feeding my 6000. I would like to move my 6000 to another room and use the 921 as my primary receiver.

I took a quick look at vssll.com and I had the impression that this is for new subscribers only.

No deal for 921, it's cheap enough ;) You can switch to leasing an 811 though...

All installed, and so far so good

I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice and pre-sale help.
I got my 921 installed under Free Dish yesterday, and I'm happy with the deal. After alot of thought I decided to go with just the 921 and a Dish 500 (no locals) for now. The installer was nice enough to run another RG6 line for me so I could install an outdoor antenna for locals if necessary. Actually, the installer said that he himself had a 921 and liked it, which was nice to hear. They also did the smart thing, which was to upgrade the 921 to L211 in the shop before bringing it out, so we didn't have to wait for it to upgrade to finish the install.

One thing people might not be aware of, that I found in an older thread, is that in order to get the full Club Dish benefits the retailer must participate in Club Dish, and most don't. I assume that non-participating retailers will give you the $50 discount off the install fee (just to get your business), but then won't send in the necessary info for the kickback to whoever gave you the Club Dish card. When I called the Dish Network number they gave me only 3 retailers anywhere near me, and Rochester is a city of over 1 million. The closest one I called first and he flat out refused to install a 921, saying that so many people had been unhappy with it that it was too much trouble for him (I assume DHA cancels had alot to do with that). Nice guy though, and I can understand his decision. Another one I couldn't get ahold of on the phone, but the last one on the list worked out well. When the installer called in my activation he gave the Club Dish card number to the CSR so I assume everything is all set.

Cost breakdown (rounded to nearest dollar):
$200 for 921
$0 Free Dish install
$275 1 year AT60 prepay
$110 1 year HD prepay
$60 1 year DVR prepay
-$60 6 months free HD (didn't realize that apply to a Free Dish install, but I'm not complaining)
-$50 first bill Free Dish discount
-------------
$535 total

Considering that's slightly less than what I'd pay for a year of standard cable here, I consider it a pretty good deal. Obviously I haven't gotten the 1st bill $50 discount, but when the charge goes through on my CC hopefully it will show there. If not I'll have to give E* a call and figure out how that's going to work given the 1 year prepay on everything.

-- Dave

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts