921 in RV again

rbraucht

Original poster
Aug 16, 2004
I was an electronics tech in the navy back when radios had tubes. Since then all I've done is turn them off and on. All this stuff boggles my mind.
Anyway,after mulling over the advice I received I thought I would run something else by you guys. I actually have 3 dishes on the roof of my motorhome.( I like lots of drag so the Saudis won't go broke.) The one dish is an automatic one that switches from 119 to 110. It finds 119 automatically. But I can program it to just go to 119 and stay there Then the next one is a manual crank up that I could point at 110. Then I have an old C-band motorized that I converted to a Dishnet 36 inch dish, for when I travel up to Alaska every summer, that I could aim at 148.
Anyway, I have 2 coaxes coming in from each dish.
How would I lash up this mess to a 921. I can imagine getting all this pointed the right directions every night. Probably when I'm traveling I would just put up the automatic one every night and watch whatever is on 119.Then when I hunker down for a few days, I would play with the rest of them. Back when I just had the manual dish I sometimes wondered if the Russians had shot the satellite out of the sky.
Also all the dishes have some kind of generic lnb's. Would I have to get Dish Pro units?
Damn the expense, the project must go on!
Any help you gurus could give me would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Note: It's considered good form to keep related issues all in the same thread. Helps everyone with not repeating themselves or asking the same obvious questions over and over. Fortunately, I remembered the other thread.

Anyway, to go with three satellites, you would have to have a SW64, or convert ALL the LNBFs to DishPro - and that probably can't be done with the Winegard unit.

So, pick 2 of your units for 110 & 119, grab the 2 outputs of each along with 2 SW-21's, slam it all together and you should be good.

NOTE: it's very likely you're going to have big trouble with the 921 if you do NOT aim the 110 dish - unless you disconnect the un-aimed one and run Check Switch every time it's nt aimed. And then of course, reconnect and run Check Switch when you DO bring in the 110 bird.

I wonder if you could get a LEGACY Quad, give it's #1 feed to the aiming unit, and then take 2 of it's other feeds for the 921. It's a long shot, but maybe it'll work. Why not call Winegard and see what they have to say about 2-tuner units. Wait a minute - didn't I say that somewhere already? :rolleyes:

Sorry about that, Simon. I've never used a forum before . Now I know better.. Thanks for the info. I've talked to Winegard and what they have is what I've got. After i get these inputs inputting, I'll probly be back whining about not being able to get the outputs hooked up to 2 different HD tv sets and a SD DVD recorder , so stand by.

No problemo - you're learning and it's all good. :)

I just thought of a problem with my idea for trying to do a Dish 500 rig on the motorized unit. The skew angle changes with location and the Winegard can't do that part for you. :(

There IS another solution. Sell the motorized unit and stick with just a manual Dish 500 rig. Switch out the nuts for wingnuts, get a magnetic declination map and a compass. You'll be an expert dish aimer in no time at all. :D

Yea, I could do that. It would be a blow to my ego though. I travel with a couple and in the evening I would punch the button on my automatic dish and grab a beer and sit outside watching him set up the tripod and yell in the door to his wife asking if the signal was there. It just about ended up in a fist fight between him and her every night. He finally bought a 20 dollar satellite finder.Saved the marriage,I think.

Help - off-air connection

burned (well, lightly toasted) buying off ebay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)