921 newbie and multiple receiver questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kluken

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
OK I finally took the plunge and got a 921. It showed up and is scheduled for install next week. I told them I can do it myself if they send me the stuf fI ened, they said they only send receiver. Well I currenlty have a Dish 500 system with both cables fromt he LNB coming int he house and going to 2 different receivers. I know the 921 needs 2 cables, my question is, do I another LNB with 2 more cables or is there some type of switcht hat will take the 2 cables from my current LNB and allow them to feed the 921 and at least one other receiver. The secondary unit will be either a 4900 or 501.

Thanks!!!!

Before give you the correct answer, here is a question for you, do you have Dish500 with Dish Pro LNBs or just the legecy LNBs? If they are Dish Pro, you can add a DPP sperator with your 921 with single feed from LNBs.

I thought the DPP separator needed a DPP (DishPro Plus) device at the dish end, such as either (a) a DPP44 switch or (b) a DPP LNB (newer than DPP44)?

And welcome to SatelliteGuys.US, kluken. :)
Give us some more info on your LNB(s) - legacy or "DishPro" (with a "dP" logo)? You might need a switch, and the LNB type makes a difference.

TuxCoder,

You may correct on that part. I was not sure about that myself........ Thanks for pointing this out.

hzhao said:
Before give you the correct answer, here is a question for you, do you have Dish500 with Dish Pro LNBs or just the legecy LNBs? If they are Dish Pro, you can add a DPP sperator with your 921 with single feed from LNBs.

Hmm, I am guessing legacy, it only had 2 outputs on it and it is a few years old, I believe it was installed in Spring of 2002.

Grandude said:
TuxCoder is correct. A separator will NOT work with DP hardware. It MUST be DP Plus hardware.

So with Legacy LNB is there any way to drive essentially 3 tuners (921 + 501 or 4900) or do I need a new LNB plus switch?

kluken said:
So with Legacy LNB is there any way to drive essentially 3 tuners (921 + 501 or 4900) or do I need a new LNB plus switch?

There is but not that will work with your current LNB (assuming that it is a legacy twin).

If you decide to keep the 4900 you would probably be best off replacing your current LNB with a legacy Quad LNB.

If you use the 501 there are several options. Replace your current LNB with a DishPro Quad LNB (~$85). Replace with a DishPro Plus Twin LNB with a DPP separator for the 921 (~110). Replace with a DishPro Twin LNB and a DP34 switch(~$120). Replace with a DishPro Twin LNB, DPP44 switch and a DPP separator(~$255).

Either DishPro Plus solution will allow a single coax to feed both 921 tuners but will cost more than the respective DishPro solutions. The prices I listed are the costs of the hardware if purchased from DishStore.net (one or our sponsers).

Ideally I woudl want to NOT run any more cables down from the roof nor drill any more holes. If I can run some sort of dual LNB and then split the single cable that goes intot he room where the 921 will be that woudl be my ideal configuration. SO I need a DishPro Twin LNB and a DPP seperator to drive the 921 from one cable? And the other cable can drive the 501? What is the big deal witht he 4900? Is the tuner out of date to handle any of those configs? Is there a place where I can learn about all these switches and this DPP?

Thanks!

If you don't want to run an additional cable you would use a DishPro Plus Twin and DPP separator or a DishPro Twin, DPP 44 switch and DPP separator.

The big deal with the 4900 (and with all other 4 digit model number receivers) is that it does not work natively with DishPro LNBs and Switches. They require a Legacy Adapter ($70) to work. The DPP 44 switch will work with legacy (4 digit) receivers as it includes the adapter circuitry on all 4 of it's ports. The DPP twin is extremely new and I haven't hear whether it includes the adapter circuitry or requires a separate adapter.

Thanks! Sounds like I will go with the DP Twin and the DPP seperator and can the 4900.