921 OTA recording

oljim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 9, 2003
Beaufort SC
How will the 921 ota recording be done when few if any stations have guide info. Will times be set by date/ time/ ch# or what

How will the 921 ota recording be done when few if any stations have guide info.
Dish said they are going to be inserting guide data for the OTA channels themselves (ie. not relying on PSIP).

how will they know what you can pick up, I pick up from 2 cities (2 DMAs) all the time and from 4 cites some of the time

When you setup your 921 it does a channel scan, you must enter the call letters of your TV stations.

The guide data is pulled using the call letter for that station.

Scott I have a Sam 151 now, I Never do a ch scan, it will only add ch that is picked up for that ant direction. and drop others not in that direction. I always put in by just by DTV ch # it will add to mem list if it gets a signal. I now have 27 dtv ch in mem from 5 cities.

Scott Greczkowski said:
When you setup your 921 it does a channel scan, you must enter the call letters of your TV stations.

The guide data is pulled using the call letter for that station.
Well that's a pretty amazing feature! That alone might almost make the DVoD fee worthwhile! I expect them to provide the Dish EPG for free, but providing somebody else's is starting to look as useful as Tivo.

x

oljim said:
Scott I have a Sam 151 now, I Never do a ch scan, it will only add ch that is picked up for that ant direction. and drop others not in that direction. I always put in by just by DTV ch # it will add to mem list if it gets a signal. I now have 27 dtv ch in mem from 5 cities.

you lucky son of gun! :D

analog recording

It appears that the 921 will recieve analog (NTSC) OTA broadcasts but will not record to hard disc. Will that signal be able to be sent over the s-video to a VCR to be recorded?
joe

Any analog sat receiver I know with Dish can be fed to a vcr to be recorded. My 721 can be done this way. As long as it isn't in the high def mode you should be able to record the analog feed with the s-video and rca audio cables. My JVC vcr has both an s-video in and s-video out, which makes it nice to be able to record off my satellite. I just have to switch cables from the aux inputs and put them from the sat receiver to the vcr.

program guide

I read that the Electronic Program Guide must be activated to set OTA channels. Does this mean that you must purchase a Dish Satellite Program service to activate the OTA. I ask because I only want the abiltiy to use the PVR for OTA HD/SD without satellite service.
joe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)