921 outputs - just bought one

paulrus

Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
Sorry if this is a FAQ - please point me in the right direction if it is.

I'm having a 921 installed today - I got it on the last day of the $200 deal.
I know it has a DVI out, but AFAIK DVI to HDMI cables are really expensive.
Can anyone tell me if there's a significant difference in quality between the DVI output and the component output?

Secondly, does anyone have any OTA antenna recommendations to work with the 921? The installer apparently wanted $125 to "install" one. I thought I could probably do better on my own.

Thanks!

Paul

Thank you, your answer was very helpful. Now what is this gooo-gal thing of which you speak? I've never heard of it before and it's never entered my mind to search for the answers I seek before posting a question. :rolleyes:

paulrus said:
I know it has a DVI out, but AFAIK DVI to HDMI cables are really expensive.
Can anyone tell me if there's a significant difference in quality between the DVI output and the component output?

Secondly, does anyone have any OTA antenna recommendations to work with the 921? The installer apparently wanted $125 to "install" one. I thought I could probably do better on my own.
Paul
For me, the component output is equal to the DVI output to my Samsung 46in DLP TV. That is just my opinion and many have the opposite opinion.
Second, you need to do a bit of research to see what antenna would be appropriate for your area. Try www.antennaweb.com for one source and also look around your neighborhood to see what size others are using. (If any)
You also need to know if any stations near you are transmitting HD in the VHF band. If so you will need a UHF/VHF antenna which will be a lot bigger than just a straight UHF one.
How close are you to the transmitting towers and are all in the same direction?
Oops, that might be antennaweb.org. Not sure.... :rolleyes:

Thanks! I wasn't sure if component could handle the same level of resolution as the DVI or not. I wasn't able to find any tech specs on component versus DVI.

All the towers in my area are in the same basic location - I'm not sure if they're UHF or VHF (it's been so long since I've watched OTA TV, I've forgotten - but the numbers are all high, like 39 & 55, so I think it's VHF) My parents bought an inexpensive RCA HDTV rabbit ears antenna and it's working great on their HDTV. I just wasn't sure if something like that would work, or if you need something outside the house.

Thanks for the reply!

Paul

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts