921 Owners: My 9 day guide is back!

Haven't had more than a two day guide for over two weeks now. It does make one wonder over the coincidence of the introduction of the new dvr's. As if we needed reinforcement to question our 921 purchase.

You can do what I did and call Dish. I didn't get satisfaction from either the CSR, or person in executive office so I finally got hold of a gentleman who was a supervisor in the executive office. I politely explained the problems that have plagued the 921, outlining the current guide fiasco and a couple of hardware problems (sluggish remote and OTA ATSC tuner poor immunity to multipath.

I requested the 921 be replaced with a receiver that will work as the 921 was advertised. I also stated that this should not incur any additional cost to me. Why should I have to pay to fix their buggy receiver? They would not upgrade me for free to the 622 nor offer me the 622 with waiving the "enabling" fee. He did however offer to swap the 921 for a 942. While the 942 is a discontinued receiver it is far less buggy than the 921 from what I've read. Also it has name based recording and Dish Home (two advertised future features when I first bought the 921).

So hopefully Tuesday I'll be able to use the receiver without the headaches that have plagued the poor 921.

If DIsh were smart they'd take the 942s they will receive on trade in for the 622 and refurbish them to swap out the remaining 921s. Then they can fire the Eldon team that can't write software to save their lives.

Again, when I called I was very polite but reasoned that a consumer should not have to be subjected to a product plagued with bugs for this long. I'm happy with their proposed resolution. Now let's hope the 942 functions better!

Well, calling in does nothing with this company. I have been hung up on 3 times tonight. Try cancelling and can't even do that. Roman (GLC), Jen (FC1), and Richard (FCJ). Great Company!

cmaier said:
My 9 day guide is back to 2 day. Yay.

Call in, it is hillarious. They just insist you reboot, reboot, reboot, then hang up on you. The 2 day guide is a great feature though.

Do you own your 921 or lease it? I own mine, fortunately or unfortunately.

RocketNJ said:
You can do what I did and call Dish. I didn't get satisfaction from either the CSR, or person in executive office so I finally got hold of a gentleman who was a supervisor in the executive office. I politely explained the problems that have plagued the 921, outlining the current guide fiasco and a couple of hardware problems (sluggish remote and OTA ATSC tuner poor immunity to multipath.

I requested the 921 be replaced with a receiver that will work as the 921 was advertised. I also stated that this should not incur any additional cost to me. Why should I have to pay to fix their buggy receiver? They would not upgrade me for free to the 622 nor offer me the 622 with waiving the "enabling" fee. He did however offer to swap the 921 for a 942. While the 942 is a discontinued receiver it is far less buggy than the 921 from what I've read. Also it has name based recording and Dish Home (two advertised future features when I first bought the 921).

So hopefully Tuesday I'll be able to use the receiver without the headaches that have plagued the poor 921.

If DIsh were smart they'd take the 942s they will receive on trade in for the 622 and refurbish them to swap out the remaining 921s. Then they can fire the Eldon team that can't write software to save their lives.

Again, when I called I was very polite but reasoned that a consumer should not have to be subjected to a product plagued with bugs for this long. I'm happy with their proposed resolution. Now let's hope the 942 functions better!

In the Dish Network HD Forum someone posted a thread on the same problem. He sent an email to CEO at dishnetwork dot com telling of the short directory problems along with the other common 921 problems. He was told that the problem would be corrected in a future software upgrade plus he was offered a credit for the DVR fee until the problem is fixed.

This is a good idea - think I will follow his example.

I am on the phone with Grant and he said they are aware of the problem and that it should be all fixed within a week. This was after I got him to say it may be months to figure out. Get credit for the past 2 weeks and the next week for this problem and if not fixed, keep calling in. Only thing we can do to keep them actually "working" on it.

My guide is back to 2-day, with "No information available" beyond the 'next' show. :mad:

Just did my standard (for this problem): pull power, pull smartcard, power up, wait for error msg or SysInfo screen, insert smartcard (it'll reboot again).

No change. :mad:

Call in for credit. Only way to pressure them in fixing this otherwise they will just let it be.

SimpleSimon said:
My guide is back to 2-day, with "No information available" beyond the 'next' show. :mad:

Just did my standard (for this problem): pull power, pull smartcard, power up, wait for error msg or SysInfo screen, insert smartcard (it'll reboot again).

No change. :mad:

My 921 still has two days and all of the information to that goes with each programs to that point.

The 2-day guide has now populated.

Wonder when the data stream will be "clean" again, and let the 9-day guide come in. I think the problem is that they've added some new data type that makes the 921 barf.

Anyone else tried getting them to swap your 921 for a 942? At least one person has been successful in doing it while complaining about this issue to the executive office. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to get a free swap out, since both machines are technically obsolete now.

The best way is to reason with them. Have a list of confirmed bugs and tell them you want a receiver that works as the original 921 was advertised.

I told them 3 current bugs
1) 9 day guide

2) Sluggish remote (seems to be a hardware problem. They haven't fixed with software since I had it)

3) OTA HD tuner poor multipath immunity (another hardware problem inherent in all 921's).

I didn't get resolution until the fourth person I talked to (supervisor in exec office customer resolution team). I asked what they would do if they bought a product that didn't perform as advertised, even after one year. I asked for the upgrade to the 622 without the "enable" fee or being required to subscribe to any HD pak. They refused but he did offer the swap to the 942 which I accepted. My 942 is enroute from Colorado and should be arriving Friday.

Call up, stay calm, and try to reason to them. If the person doesn't want to accomodate you them politely ask for their supervisor. Take the time to explain the situation to the supervisor again. (the CSR did not tell the supervisor the whole story, only I wanted a free upgrade).

Hopefully Dish will see the light and upgrade your 921's.

Here's to hoping the 942 is better!

I was hoping it was fixed. I did a power cord reboot on Friday and the 9 day guide stayed all weekend. I was checking something before I left for work this morning and saw it was back to 2 days. So frustrating.