921 Owners: My 9 day guide is back!

I made an unsuccessful attempt to get a 942 and was told by the supervisor that they don't have a way to do that. I noted the ongoing software problems with the 921, that I was a longtime customer and was unhappy with it. I was told that they had no way to do an exchange for a 942. I advised him that several other people have received 942 exchanges, but he said he knew no way to do that.
Told him, that it's being done. I'm considering other options.

He advised the 622 upgrade, but after the 921, I'm don't really want to jump on another first generation product. Maybe when there's a 642 or whatever comes next in MPEG4, if I'm still with them.

I've also sent a request to CEO@dishnetwork.com, but have received no response.

jsanders said:
Anyone else tried getting them to swap your 921 for a 942? At least one person has been successful in doing it while complaining about this issue to the executive office. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to get a free swap out, since both machines are technically obsolete now.

Mine rebooted twice after the update and the 9 day guide is back too. Yesterday it was only updating to as little as 24 hours.

Just an update. Got my 942 from Dish to replace my buggy 921. Here's a quick comparison.

OTA reception is much less prone to multipath.

Remote is much more responsive.

Overall speed is much better.

Using HDMI out I don't have to set tv to inverted input (using DVI on 921 the tv needed to be set to inverted for proper color)

Only problem I have is wcbs-h (digital WCBS OTA, NYC) does not show guide data. Had same issue on 921 before I swapped it so this must be a problem with Dish's guide data.

942 only has 1 hour buffer to pause live tv vs 2 hours on 921.

So far, the 942 seems better than the 921.

Thanks, Rocket. Just the info I was looking for. I'm replacing my 921 with a 942 tomorrow and I've been wondering about the OTA issue. I have one channel (WFAA - ABC Channel 8) here in Dallas that gives me some problems on my 921. Even though the signal strength never seems to drop below 95, the picture/audio will break up briefly every couple of minutes or so. I'm hoping the OTA tuner in the 942 will fix that.

Widescreen said:
Thanks, Rocket. Just the info I was looking for. I'm replacing my 921 with a 942 tomorrow and I've been wondering about the OTA issue. I have one channel (WFAA - ABC Channel 8) here in Dallas that gives me some problems on my 921. Even though the signal strength never seems to drop below 95, the picture/audio will break up briefly every couple of minutes or so. I'm hoping the OTA tuner in the 942 will fix that.
It wont. I have 921s and aa 942 and while the 942 is better than the 921, I still get dropouts on WFAA-DT.

Do a search for my theads on WFAA.

Last edited:
For those having trouble with dropouts with OTA channels and have very high signal strength:

Try adding an attenuator in series with the coax feed from the OTA antenna. I had too much signal which increased the amount of multipath the 921 was receiving. I have a 72" Yagi with mast mount preamp. I wound up inserting 12 dB attenuation between the 921 and power module for the preamp. Signals were rock solid with no more dropouts (NYC OTA).

With the 942 I removed the 12 dB attenuation and signals remain about the same but I do not have the dropouts I experienced with the 921.

It may be worth a try...

I've got a 6db attenuator laying around somewhere. I think I'll try that if my 942 doesn't perform better - although it concerns me that attenuating the signal may negatively impact the other channels that don't have this problem. I guess we'll see.

As of 6p tonight my 921 9 day guide was back but I did as elgoto said and set it up for recording for next week in case it goes again.

Since L2.74, my guide has been fully populated. The aspect seems to be working so far too, but I haven't pushed my luck by trying it daily.

They'll get it fixed just in time to scrap it. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)