921 recording fiasco

cvsjr@att.net

Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
My wife is ready to throw the 921 out the window! Why is it such a problem to record two events at the same time, wasn't it designed for this? Am I doing something wrong?

What is the procedure for recording two events and watching one of them while recording? It screwed up with Desperate Houswives and Deadwood two weeks in a row, also American Idol and Crab Fishermen. Is there some rule as to which event you can watch (which tuner) when they are both recording? Is there a way to record two events and have one tuner (of my choice) automaticly output to the TV?

Example:

Today, both American Idol and Crab Fisherman (discovery) were to record, luck would have it that Crab Fisherman is the one that was output to the TV, my wife grabbed the remote and changed the chanel to American Idol and it went black and stayed there. She called me in a fit of rage, I had her do a reboot (hold the off switch in) and it came back to Crab Fisherman. Needless to say she changed the channel again and Crab Fisherman did not record. The same thing happens each week with Desperate House, I record them both, try to watch Desperate Houde Wives and it locks up, I reboot, the red light is on but only Desperate Housewives recorded.

Is there a way to see what tuner is recording what and a way to veiw which recording you want?

the 921 was the main reason I went to voom. unfortunately now voom will be history at the end of the month

Well, just watch the recording from the DVR menu as it records. It may not be the most logical way to do what you're wanting but it should work. I've done that with one background recording while the "foreground" tuner was on something else (not recording). Other than taxing the resources a little more (you might get some occasional A/V glitches), I don't see why that wouldn't work for you with two recordings and one playback.

Like TuxCoder said.

You must hit the DVR button and select which of the two recordings you want to watch. If you try to change the channel, it will screw up the recordings.

Unfortunately the 921 has a VERY low WAF (wife acceptance factor). It's just too picky/difficult. There are many bugs.

Must of us have learned not to ask it to do things that we know are outside it's capability (there aren't enough cross checks in the software).

Here's some examples:

Last night I accidently hit the PIP button with a recording in progress. Was left with a scrambled pip window that I couldn't get rid of until I rebooted.

I never delete while both tuners are in use.

I don't rely on the pads to actually PAD (there are many occasions where they get automatically, permanently removed).

***I don't attempt to change channels when two recordings are in progress. (Like TuxCoder said - select the event from the DVR menu. Hit view or start over. STAY away from STOP - you may not get a warning).

I try not to rely on the 921 conflict resolution

I don't FFwd to the end of a recorded event.

there are more I'm sure....

Thank's, that's the info I need. Just hit the DVR button then pick the recording event. Now I just need to train my wife.

Maybe some day there will be a box that does NBR from voice commands, something like:

"American Idol NOW you idiot box, and don't forget to record my husbands crap at the same time!"

I've dodged most problems by trying to keep it with only one active HD timer at a time, or two SD channels with a buffer of at least 10 minutes before the next timer is ready to go. All of my problems have been with 2 active timers (or during the handoff from one recording on one channel to a recording on a second channel while another recording is still active).

Try to get distant waivers if you can and then shift as many shows as you can to the other coast to spread things out.

2-811 system problems

Advice on DVR options for new sub

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)