921 Spec Sheet!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
did Charlie type this up??

thanks Scott!! great info.

But it looks like E* did it again. First, too bad they aren't clear on the "record 2 while watching 1 recorded" specs. Can this really handle 3 HD streams or does it need to be 2 HD and 1 SD?

Also per the OTA tuner they claim "reception of local digital/HD and analog broadcasts that can record digital/HD broadcasts onto the hard drive"
This would indicate that while ONLY digital can be recorded that analog can actually be tuned and viewed OTA. But later in the rear panel features section they state "1 ATSC antenna input for off-air analog/digital broadcasts". Now maybe this clarifies it a little...maybe there is a spec for analog ATSC. This would exclude the ability to tune or view analog NTSC. But I have never heard of this.

But size-wise it is ONLY 5.25" tall!!! cool, this means that I will be able to stuff this sucker into my existing cabinet using only a crowbar OR chicken grease. I was afraid I was gonna have to use both :D

Scott, thanks a million for this 8)

Questions:

1- what is the "R" green button on the remote?
2- what is the "/Forward" at the bottom of the remote?
3- No "opentv" available at lunch time?
4- 1 OTA turner only, I thought you said two?

I need one of these asap... :!:

Looks like you are correct. Thats too bad. I can see a great need at least in my house for that.

motjes2 said:
...2- what is the "/Forward" at the bottom of the remote?...quote]

no real answers for ya but on closer inspection the "/Forward" button is actually labelled FORMAT

1- what is the "R" green button on the remote?
2- what is the "/Forward" at the bottom of the remote?
3- No "opentv" available at lunch time?
4- 1 OTA turner only, I thought you said two?

1. For recording to HDTV DVHS, I believe...but don't quote me on that.

2. The format button located at the bottom left-hand side of the remote is the aspect mode button; it switches between the various aspect modes, such as black bars, grey bars, stretch, zoom, etc for 4:3 programming on a 16:9 set, or between letterbox and zoom on a 4:3 set.

3. No OpenTV, although the 921 already has an advanced interface and probably some interactive weather stuff (a la 721).

4. The 921 has one OTA tuner and two satellite tuners. The HDTV Tivo, coming next spring, was recently announced to feature two OTA tuners and two satellite tuners.

Thanks scott. I've printed it up. It's going to be placed on my wifes dinner plate tonight so she can see it when she sits down to eat. I have to star working very early to get her used to the idea that there is a toy I want. It usually takes me three to four months to get her approval. I could go and buy it myself, but i'm sure everyone here knows what you may wind up going through if you you buy a big toy with out approval.

I am having a little problem with the wife acceptance factor. She was all for it in the beginning but as of late she hasn't been too happy about it. gotta figure out what to do

Re: did Charlie type this up??

les017 said:
First, too bad they aren't clear on the "record 2 while watching 1 recorded" specs. Can this really handle 3 HD streams or does it need to be 2 HD and 1 SD?
As I understand it, there are two sat tuners and one OTA tuner. The 921 can record two digital streams at once -- either two sat or one sat and one OTA -- and you can also simultaneously watch something you recorded earlier. That would imply 'handling' 3 HD streams if I read your question correctly?
Also per the OTA tuner they claim "reception of local digital/HD and analog broadcasts that can record digital/HD broadcasts onto the hard drive"
This would indicate that while ONLY digital can be recorded that analog can actually be tuned and viewed OTA. But later in the rear panel features section they state "1 ATSC antenna input for off-air analog/digital broadcasts". Now maybe this clarifies it a little...maybe there is a spec for analog ATSC. This would exclude the ability to tune or view analog NTSC. But I have never heard of this.
I'm sure it's like my 6000, which has a single antenna input that feeds a tuner capable of receiving both analog and digital OTA stations. But because only digital streams can be recorded by the 921, you can't record analog stations but only view them live. I think this was either a typo or a poor wording - if they'd simply omitted the word "ATSC" it makes more sense!

Rob

John Walsh said:
I am having a little problem with the wife acceptance factor. She was all for it in the beginning but as of late she hasn't been too happy about it. gotta figure out what to do

As soon as I heard about the 921, I started pelting my wife with info/rumors and my own dose of irritating enthusiasm. After awhile, she tends to see that I'm blindly determined, and usually submits ;) In this case, I've had well over a year to convince her that we're getting the 921. Selling her on the next HD set, however, remains a challenge...but I'm workin' on it!

John Walsh said:

My solution turns out to be more expensive but it helps smooth the way quicker:

Find something she wants that is a big ticket item and tell her you are going to get that for her and she can get the 921 / HD monitor for you.

That new sofa or sleigh bed she has always wanted does the trick for me.

Good Luck!

Re: RF Output?

Guest said:
What possible sense does it make to put an RF output on the 921?

For some of us, it's very important. Currently, I watch only HD programs on my HD set with a 6000 receiver and SD programs on my older SD set located in an all season porch using a 501 pvr. SD programs actually look better on the older sd crt than on the large rp HD set.

I'm able to do this because the 501 pvr has a composite coax (RF) output and I simply ran a coax cable from the 501 out to the porch. The 921 will replace the two receivers and continue to provide this functionality because it has the required composite coax output (unlike the 6000).

But the 921 cannot output to the HD and SD ports simultaneously (it's one or the other). That's fine for my needs, but some people have complained bitterly about this limitation and a few have even said they won't buy the 921 because of this limitation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)