921 - This is what it looks like

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I just got a new 921 in the mail to replace my old unit which the smart card reader failed.

The first thing I went and looked at was to see if the DishWire ports were gone.

Yup taped over with metallic tape and SCREWED into the case.

Below is a picture.

This shows me that Dish KNEW for awhile that the DishWire ports were discontinued. So how come they didn't say anything about it until I called them to the table on it?

Attachments

• 921tape.jpg
    921tape.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 426
I think the tape is applied to the case before any is mounted inside it; it's not really screwed to the case, but just happens to be installed before the screws are.

But yea, this ECO was obviously written before before the new units were assembled; long before E* employees like C.J. were apparently still telling people like the 5000 trade-in crowd that the Dishwire was still planned for April-May. Someone decided not to get the word out. I don't think "fraud" is the incorrect term to use.

Nope the screws are screwed through the tape.

Fraud is a bad word, the 921 can be a nice unit, but I feel dish should do something for people who purchaed the 921 on the promise the DishWire connections would work.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Nope the screws are screwed through the tape.

That's what I mean. The tape (self-adhesive] was applied to the case when it was still an empty shell. When the motherboard was later mounted inside the case, the screws were installed. The screws have nothing to do with holding the tape in place.

I'm sure in future runs of the case, the holes won't be punched, and the Dishwire labels won't be silkscreened on.

Fraud is a bad word, the 921 can be a nice unit, but I feel dish should do something for people who purchaed the 921 on the promise the DishWire connections would work.

It may be a nice unit, but it appears the company was telling some people that Dishwire support was still planned, after it had already been decided that it would not be. Heck, they were telling that to the whole world on their website, on the 921 brochure.

A class-action lawyer sure could have a field day with this, if the class were only larger and the damge enough to make it worth their while. "Your honor, this deception by Echostar was obviously perpetrated to discourage subscrbers from considering a soon-to-be-released competiive product from DirecTV", ... etc.

BarryO said:
That's what I mean. The tape (self-adhesive] was applied to the case when it was still an empty shell. When the motherboard was later mounted inside the case, the screws were installed. The screws have nothing to do with holding the tape in place.

I'm sure in future runs of the case, the holes won't be punched, and the Dishwire labels won't be silkscreened on.

It may be a nice unit, but it appears the company was telling some people that Dishwire support was still planned, after it had already been decided that it would not be. Heck, they were telling that to the whole world on their website, on the 921 brochure.

A class-action lawyer sure could have a field day with this, if the class were only larger and the damge enough to make it worth their while. "Your honor, this deception by Echostar was obviously perpetrated to discourage subscrbers from considering a soon-to-be-released competiive product from DirecTV", ... etc.

Lucky for Dish they sold very few of these... Even if a lawyer could win $1000 each that would still not be enough to get him out of his BMW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)