921 vs. 942

ddlsmith

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 28, 2004
After Voom ended, I switched to TWC and am very happy with their HD lineup, HD-DVR, and PQ. But now that Dish has some of the Voom channels available, I want to subscribe just for the Voom package, I really miss Monster, Rave, and Equator. I understand I will also have to get their HD package too, even though it will have the same channels as cable offers. I have 2 questions, and forgive me if these have been addressed before, I just haven't checked the forums lately.

1. Can I use my existing Voom dish to receive the Voom channels on Dish? Isn't it already pointed in the right direction?

2. Radio Shack locally sells an HD-DVR model 921 for $549. Dish's website has a 942 for $699. What is the difference? They both seem to have the same size hard drive.

I'm not sure if you must order the HD-Pak to get the Voom especially since you were a former Voom customer. But if you had already confirmed that then I guess it's true.

I fairly sure you can use your existing satellite at 61.5 to get Voom however if you must subscribe to other programming then you would need a dish500 as well. Make sure that the LNBs are compatible for example if your Voom is equivient to the legacy then the dish500 should use that series as well.

The differences between the 921 and 942 are rather minor with pros and cons both ways. The 942 has dual user mode which allows you to split the tuners to run two TVs. The HD would use the component or HDMI (DVI with supplied doggle) and coax connection for a SD set. The 921 can only use either the HD or SD output not both at the same time (need to switch using the HD/SD button). The 942 has "Name Base Recording" where the 921 is only time based. The 921 has 2 hour pause buffer while the 942 only has 1 hour (even in single user mode). The 942 is missing the s-video output. There have been various bug issues with the 921 hopefully that will be solved soon. The 942 requires a phone line connected to aviod an additional $5 dual receiver charge. If you can get the 942 for $250 lease method with $5 a monthly fee then that something to consider rather than paying $700 to own. There are new mpeg4 receivers due to arrive in the near future and it not certain what type of replacement policy will occur.

Thanks so much. That's what I needed to know. I am going for the 942 and did confirm you must subscribe to the Dish HD package first (which I don't need since I get all the channels via cable) and THEN you can add the VOOM channels. Oh well, it's worth $15 a month to me to get the 10 VOOM channels.

ddlsmith said:
After Voom ended, I switched to TWC and am very happy with their HD lineup, HD-DVR, and PQ. But now that Dish has some of the Voom channels available, I want to subscribe just for the Voom package, I really miss Monster, Rave, and Equator. I understand I will also have to get their HD package too, even though it will have the same channels as cable offers. I have 2 questions, and forgive me if these have been addressed before, I just haven't checked the forums lately.

1. Can I use my existing Voom dish to receive the Voom channels on Dish? Isn't it already pointed in the right direction?

2. Radio Shack locally sells an HD-DVR model 921 for $549. Dish's website has a 942 for $699. What is the difference? They both seem to have the same size hard drive.

Forget the 921, it is buggy and quirky. I had 3 and the third one was not bad, but required hard reboots about every 1-2 weeks. If you plan on being with Dih for a while and will want their expanded HD in the future pay the $250 to lease a 942 at $5 a month. It woudl still take a few years before you caught up to what a 921 woudl cost you and it is leased, so if it breaks you call Dish. Also the 942 is superior to the 921. The 921 is a dead product and Dish is still develeoping and deploying features for the 942. I convinced Dish to lease me a 942 and my 921 goes back to Costco this weekend!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)