921 vs. 942

I DID read that Scott.
That's the officially vague timetable given by Dish. I thought you may have gotten a more concrete un-official (optomistic) behind-the scenes answer .

Nope, they are REALLY aiming to that date especially after the 942 fiasco.

My big fear is if we pressure them to add a second OTA tuner it would delay things.

Let's put it this way the hardware is there now, now its just getting the software down, and since this software is being done in Denver instead of England they should be able to do it.

Redesigning the 942, if it's not a modular layout, to add the second OTA tuner may be a major redesign. Logically we think, just plug this item in and viola we are set. Electronic layout requires that there be significant testing to ensure that the added components do not interfere with the existing ones, etc.

So if we say the "hardware is there now, its just getting the software down", this picture will change with a hardware redesign.

For those that want a 921+, essentially a 942 with the extra OTA interface and the ability to output HD/SD off of either output should look forward to a 943 or some other model. E* could make this extra feature product available at a premium and offer an upgrade for all existing 921 users if the existing 921 problems are not quickly resolved. This would allow them to have a HD DVR for the low cost market and an HD DVR for the high-end that would/could replace the 921 system.

Of course any HD DVR they release should support the new MP3/Slide show technologies they previewed at the summit. Eventual support for some type of external capacity upgrades (ala external HD) should also be pursued. There should be some type of device that meets consumers needs as well as satisfies the "content protection" needs of the copyright holders at some point. If the full USB 2.0 spec is fully supported in the new 942 and other *4* series products, the ability to software engineer support should be possible as a future upgrade.

For the high-end 921+ (921 upgrade or replacement), make sure that the USB 2.0 and the IEEE 1394 ports exist in full "hardware specs". Again the software doesn't need to be enabled, but be a possibility as soon as the "content" issues are resolved. If this is clearly communicated to customers from the get go, it would still be a marketable feature that could be looked forward to.

Anyway, that's my suggestions. I'm sure others may or may not agree.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Nope, they are REALLY aiming to that date especially after the 942 fiasco.

My big fear is if we pressure them to add a second OTA tuner it would delay things.

Let's put it this way the hardware is there now, now its just getting the software down, and since this software is being done in Denver instead of England they should be able to do it.

Scott,

We know you've seen the hardware. You mentioned that they barely got some software running before the show. But what exactly the software functionality that was demoed there, if any?

This might tell us how far they are from having a functional software, of course with a lot of bugs.

-Mark

Scott Greczkowski said:
As far as I know the units will all have DishComm technology built in so that the boxes can all talk to each other over the powerlines. The plus for this is you don't need phonelines connected to all your boxes, instead only 1 box will need a phoneline, when the other boxes need to dial out they will do it over the powerlines to the unit plugged into the phone line. (And features like Caller ID will be available on boxes not hooked up to a phone line)

The Dish COMM also will let you transmit audio over powerlines to a DishComm reciever so you can listen to Sirius anywhere in your house.

There is the possibity with Dishcomm that you may be able to transfer DVR recordings from one unit to another as well. Those plans however are not promised or finalized.

My guess was that the *4* series of boxes may have additional compression technologies built into them such as Windows Media 9. By upgrading to this technology Dish will be able to offer more with higher quality that they now provide. Now I am only saying this as a guess. When ever I mentioned Windows Media 9 at the show, no one would talk about it.

Also the technology is getting better all the time, they will be able to offer these boxes with more features at a lower cost.

Hmmm.. Wondering why they went with the Power approach instead of going with Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi/G is becoming common place. That way they could have done things like have a connection to the internet so they could stream MP3. and also eventually put a TV browser into the mix. This would have been a much more generic approach that would offer higher interoperability to external Dish products. Provide both Ethernet and Wi-Fi would have rocked..

I am happy to see they are working towards a network solution, I just think the powerline way is not as desirable as a wireless/ethernet IP approach.

Yes we are starting to see TV Tuners becoming media gateways. This is an area Microsoft want to get into.. They want to be the Media gateway into the home. It will be intersting to see how this plays out.

WeeJavaDude said:
Hmmm.. Wondering why they went with the Power approach instead of going with Wi-Fi.

My guess is because your neighbor could pick up the WiFi. Dish tries really hard to ensure you arent sharing your account.

StevenD said:
My guess is because your neighbor could pick up the WiFi. Dish tries really hard to ensure you arent sharing your account.

Well that is why there is such things as encryption and SSID and authentication. Anybody running Wifi without some form of this is already opening themselves to noisy neighbors and people driving around.

The could implement a mechanism with the receivers to only allow certain receivers to talk to others. You might be right on this being the reason. However, there is nothing stopping a person from taking a 50' extension cable and plugging it into the an outlet outside either.

Guess my problem with the powerline approach is that power lines are the worse place to send data. power lines are very noises mediums and very unpredictable and in my opinion not the best choice for a communication medium. Especially in the case of sending video and audio content.

Well it is good to see that Dish is thinking outside the box because this is they way of the future for sure. Interoperability is the future.

I hope the powerline thing doesn't interfere with my X-10 home automation stuff (transmits a burst of data as the sinewave crosses the 0 point).

WeeJavaDude said:
Guess my problem with the powerline approach is that power lines are the worse place to send data. power lines are very noises mediums and very unpredictable and in my opinion not the best choice for a communication medium. Especially in the case of sending video and audio content.

You ain't kidding! That's why powerline home networking died a quick and justified death.

Dish needs to impliment Ethernet LAN technology into their receivers, especially if they are moving towrds the Media Center concept. It is the standard, and many homes are already set up for it. You can use it wired, or add an AP for wireless. It's what the Moxi uses, as I believe do the Gateway DVD recorders and other multimedia brands/devices, as well.

Folks, given Dish's track record with ATSC tuners (6000, 811, 921), do you really want two of them?

And, WiFi? Can you imagine how much fun that would be to explain to Mr. & Mrs. SixPack? "We need to put in a what? A Spud?"

Foxbat said:
Folks, given Dish's track record with ATSC tuners (6000, 811, 921), do you really want two of them?

And, WiFi? Can you imagine how much fun that would be to explain to Mr. & Mrs. SixPack? "We need to put in a what? A Spud?"

WiFi would be built in. I have Wifi on my laptop built in and when ever I hit a hotspot and turn it on it asks if I would like to connect to it. In my opinion, This is not above Joe Six pack and could be made to plug and play with the ability of the advance user to hook it into an existing network. Home networking has progressed to this point in my opinion.

WeeJavaDude said:
WiFi would be built in. I have Wifi on my laptop built in and when ever I hit a hotspot and turn it on it asks if I would like to connect to it. In my opinion, This is not above Joe Six pack and could be made to plug and play with the ability of the advance user to hook it into an existing network. Home networking has progressed to this point in my opinion.
Dunno WJD - you ever do an install for a 70 year old? :no

SimpleSimon said:
Dunno WJD - you ever do an install for a 70 year old? :no
Software, OS, Programs?? I have done applications installs for people in that age bracket. ;)

The point here is that it should be such that there should not be any configuration necessary (Auto-provisioning/Auto-Discovery). Similar to how it works when you plug a Cable internet box or DSL internet box today. The 70 yr old should not even know. ;) However, you would have to have a way for use power users to hook it up to our existing networks to get at files, streaming media, etc.

Yeah... then I woke up.

:cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)