921 vs. HR10-250 / ALMOST Ready to Switch to DirecTV

Timmy Dee

Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Okay, this is kind of long, but I appreciate any help out there on this nagging question.

I’m wondering, once and for all, whether or not I should make the jump away from Dish Network, as I get ready to move forward into HDTV.

Here’s my situation. I’ve been with Dish since ’97. I have an older, standard definition model receiver in the game room, which will be replaced by a HD DVR of some sort by October. (Currently my choices are a DN DVR 921 [or 942 if it’s available], a DirecTV Hughes HR10-250, or a two-tuner HD DVR from Comcast [once it becomes available]).

I also have a Dish 721 in my family room, whose RF output feeds an upstairs bedroom TV.

With all that I’ve read on this forum and others about the “buggy” 921 software from Dish, I’d really like to make the leap over to DirecTV when it comes time to convert to HDTV in my game room. However, I’m concerned about two CONS in doing so:

1.) None of the Tivos offer UHF remote capability. So in replacing that Dish 721 with a comparable standard-definition, two-tuner Tivo that would still feed the upstairs bedroom TV, I’d have to invest in some IR/RF repeaters, since my understanding is that none of the DirecTV Tivos offer the UHF remote feature.

2.) Since DirecTV’s current promotional package only offers a 40 GB DirecTV Tivo for $99, I would be losing 80 GB and having to pay $99 to do so.

So my questions are:

1.) So that I wouldn’t incur any additional costs to make the jump, would DirecTV or any DirecTV retailer, in hopes of getting my business from Dish offer me a comparable DirecTV DVR to that of my Dish 721 (one that has around 120 GB hard drive), given the fact that I would be spending over $80 a month on programming, plus purchasing the DirecTV HD DVR? Or is all that just wishful thinking?

2.) Is there, in fact, any DirecTV DVR out there, around 120 GB, that offers UHF remote capability? If not, what might be my options beyond the IR/RF repeaters?

And here’s another one I’ll toss out there:

3.) Since HD locals via an off-air antenna might never be an option for me (I live in a strict condominium community where only one dish or antenna is allowed), does any one feel that HD locals will be offered in the future by satellite, despite the bandwidth issues?

If not, that’s why I’m still considering cable, since Comcast’s dual-tuner HD DVR is rumored to be ready by the end of the year. Who knows, though, how its list of features will compare to a 921 or a HR-10 250. And I don't know if I can ever look again at snowy, analog channels that cable will most likely still have in their lineup for years to come.

Thanks a million for anyone's 2 cents on this.

Tim
Pittsburgh, PA

Timmy Dee said:
1.) None of the Tivos offer UHF remote capability. So in replacing that Dish 721 with a comparable standard-definition, two-tuner Tivo that would still feed the upstairs bedroom TV, I’d have to invest in some IR/RF repeaters, since my understanding is that none of the DirecTV Tivos offer the UHF remote feature.

Don't let this issue stop you - check out this gizmo.

The way it works is that you remove one of the AA batteries from your existing DirecTivo remote and replace it with a special transmitter, which is a partial-size battery/transmitter combo. The circuitry senses the current flow when you press the function buttons on your IR remote and it sends a signal via RF to its receiver, which then does an IR blast to your piece of equipment. Any remote (that uses AA batteries) can thus become an RF remote. (My DirecTivo remotes use AAs)

I'd say to go with the cable option at this time. Your out of pocket expense is very low and you have no commitments. That way you can see how things will shake out:
- Does the 921 every stablize and get all the promised features
- Does the HD Tivo come down in price
- How will DBS do local into local HD channels
- What new HD channels will both providers offer

Is your game complete except for a HD signal? If not, you may want to sit tight until the signal is the last thing holding you up. It sounds like you are okay with E* for now.

My thought is by Oct. everything will be different (content, hardware, software, pricing). This HD thing feels like it is starting to come to a head...

HD locals

I can't offer any help with the 921 vs. HD Tivo question, but as far as the OTA locals you might want to try an antenna that attaches directly to your dish. I have one and I get all my locals with at least 80% lock. I have an 811. I don't know if that would work in your condo community or not. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of my antenna, it was professionally installed.

Good Luck!

I'm in the same boat you are. I decided to "dish it up!" for a while. I called Dish today and ordered an 811 and a 510 for lease.

I currently have a 501 and an old 2000 box. The 501 is in my theater with the coax running to my bedroom. I just take the remote to bed with me & it works just fine. I want HD now though too.

Here's what I'm doing:

Replacing the 2000 with the 501. I'll have the 510 (replacing the 501) connected to my pj with coax running to my bedroom as I'm doing now. I'll be hooking the 811 up to my pj and will just swap the sat cable from the 510 to the 811 when I want to watch HD.

It's kinda a pain, but I can enjoy HD (minus DVR) until this fall. By then things should be worked out and I won't be wasting $1k on a reciever just to have something better come along.

Come the new TV season, I'll go with whoever has the best HD package 7 HD DVR device be it Dish, Directv, or cable. Best of all it is a free solution.

BTW, check out HDTVPUB.com. Many people have HD OTA success with good old fasioned rabbit ears from radioshack. YOu can do a zipcode search on that site & see what OTA is like in your area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts