921 W/ DVD Burner

Diver

Original poster
May 17, 2004
What would be really sweet is if DISH would build a 921 unit with a built in DVD burner. That way you could burn the movies you record without having to purchase and install addional hardware!!! YEE HAA!

That would be almost as good as them activating the USB port to be able to download MPEGs off the device and onto your computer since you can rip an MPEG off of the DVD.. Since they aren't activating the USB port for that purpose, I don't think they will do the DVD thing..

How much 1080i or even 720P video can be stored onto a DVD? I had heard that there really isn't sufficient capacity for very much to be recorded in the higher end formats.

Anybody know?

DishSatUser said:
How much 1080i or even 720P video can be stored onto a DVD? I had heard that there really isn't sufficient capacity for very much to be recorded in the higher end formats.

Anybody know?
The double-layer (9.4GB) DVDs should be able to store over an hour of HD - given it takes around 7GB per hour in my 921.

Figures approximate. YMMV.

SimpleSimon said:
The double-layer (9.4GB) DVDs should be able to store over an hour of HD - given it takes around 7GB per hour in my 921.

Figures approximate. YMMV.

I don't have high hopes for the double-layer format. Other stuff is coming out that'll store over 20GB on Blue laser DVD's. That'll the the good stuff to watch out for.

After 3 years of development the 921s still have issues - I doubt that they will ever add anything to it. It seems like Dish just wants the 921 to go away :( .

Besides I don't think that the engineers working on the 921 are aware of high tech things like recordable DVD or even CDR! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)