921 Won't Stay on?

bkushner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Audubon, NJ
I sold my perfectly working 921 to someone when I upgraded to 622. This person says he's hooked up the unit and it will not stay powered on, what if anything would cause this?

Brian

bkushner said:
I sold my perfectly working 921 to someone when I upgraded to 622. This person says he's hooked up the unit and it will not stay powered on, what if anything would cause this?

Brian
Be more specific. Does it just turn off while he is watching it, or is it in a constant reboot?

I just had a 921 replaced because it would constantly reboot whenever the satellite tuners were connected.

I suppose something could have shaken in transport....

Other possibilities....
Conflicting RF Remotes (I'm picturing two neighbors who's power toggles are in opposite states :) .

Overheating

Yeah, I didn't want to post in this thread last night. :p

But I would disconnect the SAT inputs and see if the unit keeps rebooting. (If not, also run a check switch at this point) because his setup may differ from yours and the 921 is corn-fuzed.

If there was anything DVR'd, try to play it while the unit is disconnected from the SAT inputs.

Next I would try unplugging it for at least 1-2 minutes if that didn't work. Give everything a chance to settle back in.

My 921 has never had heat issues and it sits in a fairly unventilated cabinet. It is unlikely that heat is the cause, and if it were, it should only do it after several minutes or hours of 'ON' time.

Vibration should ONLY be an issue if moving/banging the unit around while it is plugged in/turned on. Even powered off, the Hard Drive still spins so moving the tuner 'can' possibly damage it.

Polarity: This is a reach at best and should have no effect, but what if the house wiring is reversed or maybe there is an open ground loop somewhere between the dish antenna and the 921. This is also unlikely, but I added it for completeness.

Lastly, if this wasn't a close friend, or if it was an ebay transaction, there is the remote possibility you're getting scammed. This happens when people buy identical equipment to what they have that is not working and then try to get the seller to believe theirs arrived DOA. Make sure the RCVR and Serial #'s match what you had. THis is a long reach, but it ddoes happen.

Thats all I can think of.

I recently sold a 921 on ebay to a guy who had the EXACT same problem. When I had it, it was working fine but when he hooked it up, it kept turning off. He called a tech out and I guess they got it fixed because he never contacted me again about it other than to leave me positive feedback on ebay. I suspect the switch matrix may be the culprit.

I tried for four hours to get that 921 to work. Dish ended up swapping it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)