922... almost a year later

Symbol

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Puerto Rico
Since dish is killing the 922, I thought I shared my experiences with the receiver.

I ordered the 922 on may of 2011 I think, and I received it with the new remotes ( not touchpad) and found it to be a great receiver. Then it randomly died 3 months later but dish got me a replacement quickly(2days even though I'm in Puerto Rico!) and the last unit has been rock solid.

The TV everywhere feature is killer! It works well with my crappy DSL's 500kb upload speed (dish says you need atleast 1mb up to watch on mobile devices).

Its sad to see how this receiver was left behind since it had great potential, including the HD sling extender for TV2 that was never released.

I hope the hopper turns out great, I may consider one when my 922 bites the dust.:rolleyes:

Yep.. This month I have had my 922 for 2 years.. It had its bugs at the first.. But it has been a great receiver. I wish that dish would let me keep my 922 and go to 1 hopper and a couple joeys.. But they won't.. So I will be going to two hoppers and a couple of Joeys..

The hopper will be everything the 922 is and more . Once you get the new whole house dvr, you won't miss the 922 . It will still use similar tiles , video art on the shows, channel logos ,etc. The only difference you will be able to use the prime time anytime feature and have all 4 networks recorded each night for 3 hours using one tuner. Also add some joeys and you can watch in something different in another room using the same hopper receiver and it will be in HD. And the extra $4.00 you pay now on the 922 for NOTHING, will become your whole house dvr fee . So your $10.00 fee won't change ,just be called something else.

The hopper will be everything the 922 is and more . Once you get the new whole house dvr, you won't miss the 922 . It will still use similar tiles , video art on the shows, channel logos ,etc. The only difference you will be able to use the prime time anytime feature and have all 4 networks recorded each night for 3 hours using one tuner. Also add some joeys and you can watch in something different in another room using the same hopper receiver and it will be in HD. And the extra $4.00 you pay now on the 922 for NOTHING, will become your whole house dvr fee . So your $10.00 fee won't change ,just be called something else.

Thats cool, I've been kind of out of the loop lately about the whole house DVR thing.

Whats the cost for an existing customer to upgrade? also I need a dedicated joey or tuner for a sling adapter (I share my account with my sister who is in Miami)

If I can do that, then I may consider calling and asking about the hopper(I think it will be a while for Puerto Rico customers since it took dish a few months to bring the 922 to us)

My current setup is a 922 in the living room and tv2 is in my bedroom and for sling.
I also have a 211k in another room. I pay $10 for the 922 and $7 for the 211k I think

I would need 1 hopper and 2 joeys to get 3 tvs + a sling adapter?

Last edited:
Symbol said:
Thats cool, I've been kind of out of the loop lately about the whole house DVR thing.

Whats the cost for an existing customer to upgrade? also I need a dedicated joey or tuner for a sling adapter (I share my account with my sister who is in Miami)

If I can do that, then I may consider calling and asking about the hopper(I think it will be a while for Puerto Rico customers since it took dish a few months to bring the 922 to us)

My current setup is a 922 in the living room and tv2 is in my bedroom and for sling.
I also have a 211k in another room. I pay $10 for the 922 and $7 for the 211k I think

I would need 1 hopper and 2 joeys to get 3 tvs + a sling adapter?

$99 to upgrade. The Joeys use the Hoppers tuners so the Sling Adapter will connect to the Hopper. The Hopper has 3 tuners but you can add a 2nd Hopper for an additional $99 which will give the system 6 tuners. The Hopper upgrade offer will be availible in PR at launch.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-zone/278717-answers-your-hopper-questions.html

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

+1 :)

Yep.. This month I have had my 922 for 2 years.. It had its bugs at the first.. But it has been a great receiver. I wish that dish would let me keep my 922 and go to 1 hopper and a couple joeys.. But they won't.. So I will be going to two hoppers and a couple of Joeys..

We have had our 922 since March/April 2010 too. Overall except for some weirdness about two months ago it's been a pretty good receiver.

However, the Hopper thing just does not look that interesting. I am really thinking of going to DirecTV and getting an HR34 for the number of tuners it has as well as it's ability to work with existing hardware (future hardware?) DirecTV seems to be on the ball with this kind of stuff and dish is falling behind technology wise. I have been with dish since the 622 first came out but I feel like I am being screwed a little more each day by dish regarding hardware. $200 to upgrade to a receiver that they basically kill off in 2 years and start selling new hardware that is not in anyway backwards compatible. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Plus the ability to get a new customer discount from DirecTV is enticing.

I upgraded to the 922 in Oct hoping for BBMP. Of course no BBMP, so I am wondering if they will upgrade me again so soon. If these 922 are so bad, I would think they would want to get them out of people's houses. The 922 is ok. Mine the screen goes black every once and awhile. I just reset it and I works fine.

havok72 said:
I upgraded to the 922 in Oct hoping for BBMP. Of course no BBMP, so I am wondering if they will upgrade me again so soon. If these 922 are so bad, I would think they would want to get them out of people's houses. The 922 is ok. Mine the screen goes black every once and awhile. I just reset it and I works fine.

Coming in April software update (finally)

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

--- my 922 died on me since this friday night after only 8 months of use - the front panel goes black and the only way to revive it is by removing power and restoring it - the worst part is that it only works for about ten minutes and dies again after that - can't transfer any recordings with that limited time - time to upgrade to the hopper/joey ---

--- i think i found out that the problem with my 922 is the HDD Hitachi HCT721010SLA360, i removed the HDD and the receiver stays up, add another HDD (not listed as supported) and it stays up, but no guide or recording space - i can't find a replacement for the HDD ---

I have a 922, 722k & 222k. Love my 922 but pretty irritated that I can't access my ehd @ tv2. Won't upgrade to the hopper and joey until I see it operate better on the installs I do.

--- i'm seeing too many issues with the hoppers that i will wait a little longer for the upgrade, just go to replace the 922 for other 922 thru DIRT ---

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)