922 and parental controls cause missed recordings

noxid8

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
US
It looks like there is a major bug with parental control, either channel lock or rating locks. If you use any of these you might miss scheduled recordings. I have been working with dish for the last 4 weeks trying to figure out why about 40% of my scheduled recordings don't happen. I had to figure it out for them. I turned off parental controls for a test and for three days I didn't miss a single recording. I turn them back on either channel lock or rating lock and it starts missing recordings again.

The missing recordings show up in the daily schedule as " Completed by user 2 ". All the ones that work show as "Completed by user 1"

On both it shows the correct start time and end time but for the ones completed by user 2 the start and stop recording time states N/A.

Last edited:
I've come up with several theories for the User 2 recordings issues. All of them turn out to be false after further experimentation.

I've had a few of these recordings that just don't happen. I don't have any parental controls on.

They seem to come in spurts, I'll have some one day and then none for a while. My guess is your parental control change is coincidence.

They are not coincidence. I have about 5 - 6 recordings a day and if I'm using parental controls 2 or 3 of those will consistently not work every day. With parental controls off all of the timers work fine every day. I think I finally have engineering agreeing there is a bug that they need to fix with parental controls.

If your not using parental controls, your issues must be another bug. There are plenty to go around :(

It's the exact same Completed by User 2 with the timers showing as having started and finished but the recording never having started or finished.

The machine will record every single recording perfectly for a week and then one day have 2 or 3 failures in a single day. Then nothing again for a long time.

There's probably something triggering the issue, might even be several things, parental controls might even be one of them, but I doubt that it's the root cause.

It's the exact same Completed by User 2 with the timers showing as having started and finished but the recording never having started or finished.

The machine will record every single recording perfectly for a week and then one day have 2 or 3 failures in a single day. Then nothing again for a long time.

There's probably something triggering the issue, might even be several things, parental controls might even be one of them, but I doubt that it's the root cause.

Why the disagreement? Parental controls on, no work. Parental controls off, work. Dish also has acknowledged the bug, so not sure where your coming form?

I just don't think you've found the cause of the problem.

I noticed that if I didn't swap the receiver I was using on TV1 (pip swap or the input button on the remote) that I didn't get these completed recording problems. I deliberately avoided doing this. Seemed to be working great for a week. Then it happened again anyway.

Then I thought it was an issue caused by overlapping recordings, the timers always show the start/end times as the actual program times, even if you set the system to record early or late. I noticed this after it didn't record CSI for me one night when two programs had been using the sattelite receivers up till 9 o'clock. With the 3 minute late run and 1 minute early start on all the programs, that should have been a conflict. However, since then I've seen User 2 "completed" recordings not that don't match this problem.

Given that I know I have no parental controls and I'm having the same problems. I think it's pretty safe to conclude that your observations were coincidence. Just as the two prior examples that I gave were coincidences as well.

As far as what dish told you. The people you talk to don't really know anything. In my conversations with me they insisted that the 922 had to be directly connected to a router and not connected to a switch. When for all practical purposes what most people call a router is really just a modem with a built in switch. I just don't put a lot of stock in what dish tells us when we call into a call center.

I'd bet money that given enough time you'll see the User 2 completed problem with parental controls turned off given enough time.

Like I said there are more than "one" problem with 922 recording, there are multiple bugs. You are experiencing a different bug, this thread is not for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)