922 Double and Triple Dip!

legatebroke

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
I just received princing for the 922. It will be a $200 lease upgrade, no big surprise there. Monthly fees will be a $10 DVR fee and $17 additional outlet fee if it is not the primary receiver. They claim the prices reflect all the great new features that the 922 offer. Sling being the main great feature, I can get a standalone for under $200. Tile-Base user interface, its nice but nothing to flips over. Home Media over DNLA, again a nice feature that my playstaion3, xbox 360, phone, ect already do for no addition charges. I think Dish has a above average receiver in the 922 but for the fees they want to operate it, I can't see a lot of willing to fork out kind of money.

I am not happy about having to pay an extra $4.00 for the DVR fee, but I plan to upgrade one of my 722k receivers to the 922. The 922 is one of the reasons that I switched back to E* in May 2009. I have been VERY satisfied with E* since I switched back after 18 months with DirecTV. DirecTV has an excellent service, but their equipment is atrocious, and S L O W. I just hope that the 922 is not S L O W like the HR series D* receviers are. I really look forward to the new user interface of the 922 and plan to get a Sling 700U when they come out to hook up to the 722K.

Ok, so I've ranted before on this exact same subject, but I'll share my thoughts again.

Preface: No one is forcing me to get one or more of these, but I'm going to anyways.

#1 $10 DVR fee. So, it's $4 extra for what? Sling technology has always been free to use and we are paying for with the $200+ lease fee with the receiver. Otherwise, as a DVR, it does nothing new, or at least nothing revolutionary.

#2 $17 receiver fee. Originally reported as $20.....but also was originally reported and labeled as being a DuoDVR, but is now a SoloDVR with integrated sling.

"....but...but.....you can do a 2nd room in HD." Yeah, again using FREE sling technology with yet another purchase of Hardware. ....and then you can't sling crap! Your tying up your "limit one connection at a time" sling hardware to an in the house TV instead of being able to sling to your computer.....to your mobile phone.....or at another location (hotel room, friend's house, etc). Unless they removed that restriction that has always been part of sling hardware.....but I haven't heard that they have.

Most of the changes in this receiver are EVOLUTIONARY not revolutionary. A new guide, limited DLNA support, etc......things that should happen when designing a new line of DVRs.

Heck, $100 BluRay players have a lot more "extras" integrated then the DISH receivers, as do TIVOs. Not saying Dish should add many of them, as they really compete with DISH watching time, it's just a matter of fact that the 922 isn't revolutionary.

The argument has been used that you won't see the 922 receiver fee if it's your first receiver. Yeah, but if you have another DuoDVR that is a that other $17 receiver will be #2, where as if this was a $10 receiver fee, as it SHOULD be, the DuoDVR that you already have on the account would stay hidden and you'd only owe $10 for the 2nd.

So, pretend SLING isn't in the receiver, since it should be free to use and we are more then paying for the chipset with the higher lease fee. So what are we getting for $11 a month ($7 more then a SoloDVR monthly fee and $4 higher DVR fee)???

1. a larger hard drive (since when has a larger hard drive cost us more, like the 622 vs 722)?
2. Picture in Picture (something the 612 can't do)
3. Some new networking options, again, I think need to be part of any next gen DVR
4. More things that should be part of any next generation receiver....new guide, new interface with things like weather, faster processor, limited DLNA.

I'm a bleeding edge type of guy, so I can't help myself. I have to have it. But if I was a salesperson trying to sell the value of the upgrade, I think I'd have a pretty hard time.

Jason

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts