922: Dozens of Reboots, Weird Behavior - Problem Solved!!!!

ickabodaikin

Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
south texas
I am on my second 922 receiver in the last three weeks. Until last night I was ready to call to replace my current 922 with the third unit. Both of the first two units pretty much exhibited the same symptoms.

- many reboots during the day.
- weird loss of guide information and recording list. (appeared one boot, gone the next).
- use of the primary remote sometimes caused reboot. second room remote almost always would cause a reboot.
- transfer to EHD would cause a reboot.

The 922 is a big improvement over the 722 even without the Sling capability. If you have an EHD it's a must upgrade. Anyway, I'm off topic.

Talked with customer service three or four times. No resolution.

Then, read the forums. Saw a post about the HDMI causing weird behavior.

SOLUTION: I switched to COMPONENT video output rather than the HDMI. Video quality is the same. A digital audio output is available on the 922 so no audio quality loss either.

My 922 has operated perfectly since. It's amazing that this could cause all these problems. It appears to be the two-way HDMI communication. The 922 does not like some televisions.

Thanks for this forum. I hope this fix helps others.

David

I've had mine for a few weeks now and so far has been rock solid. As I think scottbakertemp was alluding to, mine does not direct feed to my TV but goes thru a HDMI 1.3a compatible surround receiver. I also notice like my 622, it gets a bit toasty, so I leave the front of the cabinet open to allow air to pass thru. I don't believe I have witnessed a single reboot since I've gotten it, though also possible I may have lucked out and gotten a "good" unit?

-Mike

I had a problem with my Onkyo receiver shutting down after many days trying different things I switched from HDMI main out to HDMI sub out haven't had a problem for three months now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)