922 obsolete?

hoopsbwc34

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
I switched to E* from D* with the 1 free year special last summer and got a 922. I decided to switch back to D* and what's interesting is that E* sent me an email saying my 922 was obsolete, so they will send me a return envelope for my smart card, but I won't need to return the 922... Is the 922 really going end of life after one year? Crazy.

an EMAIL. That is the first clue. This sounds like a scam. There is NO WAY Cheap Charlie is gonna let you keep a box that is still his (leased). Heck, that cheapskate even wants old ladies to climb the roof and send him the LNBF's when they cancel that he gladly writes off if a customer is just moving.

Even if you own the box, they don't need the smartcard. Please, this is phishy.

I'v had a 922 from the beginning of the run, I don't believe they have a "Smart Card", regardless you should contact Dish and ask them what's going on?

You need to read the email closer. It says something like "if you equipment is obsolete...". You should get a box for it and send it back or you will be charged. There was someone else confused about this a few months ago. I think the email is worded poorly.

The VIP922 Sling loaded DVR is DISH Networks newest receiver model and is not obsolete. It is a box that will need to be returned when cancelling your account with us or the account will be billed approx. $649.00. If you have a specific question regarding your account, please feel free to PM me. I am looking into the e-mail and wording on it. It should never have been sent to an account that was only active for a year. An account with a legacy receiver but never with VIP equipment!

Lake nailed it on the head. This just went around a couple months ago. It says "IF your box is obsolete, just send the card" - yours is not, so it's not an issue. You will be receiving a box shortly. (They don't want to spend $30 shipping for a tank of a box that's 10 years old when they can spend $1.50 and get your card... which by the way are obsolete anyways)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts