922 OTA Module install?

sigfreund

Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Atlanta
I installed an OTA module into my 922 today and need some info on how to set the rf modulator output to either channel 3 or 4. When I go to the modulator settings screen I only see the TV1 and TV2 choices. Also is there any way to have the OTA scan digital cable channels? I spoke to a Dish tech rep and he told me all of the info in the OTA manual is not valid for the 922 and that the SD rf output on the OTA module does not work. I gues I wasted $50 because I wanted to feed the SD rf to my old TVs in my house. Any info from 922 owners who also have an OTA module would be appreciated.

The OTA modules does not have anything to do with the channel 3/4. OTA module is for the HD OTA reception where you will need an antenna. The 3/4 is for running a second TV in analog mode.

If you have an external antenna you can record up to 4 programs at once. 2 over satellite and 2 over the air. Just beware that the 922 can have problems recording too many programs at once.

Use the home distrobution output on the back of the 922 to go to your other TVs You need to use either 21 to 69 UHF or 73 toi 121 cable channels, you cannot use 3 or 4 on the 922.
No you cannot tune digital cable channels the module is ATSC only.

VIP 922 MT2 owners

Some of the responses I have received, though well intentioned, come from those who actually do not own the equiptment in question. Is any VIP 922 owner who also has a MT2 installed able to get any signal out the coaxial output on the MT2? I have been told by Dish tech rep that I should be able to get a SD signal out, which is what I need for my older TV's. The rf output on the 922 is great for my newer wide screen format TV's but of course show up squished on my older TVs. Here is what the manual for the MT2 says:

The MT2 OTA Module adds two digital over-the-air tuners (using one port) and a Channel 3-4 coaxial output. The Channel 3-4 Output (CH 3-4 OUT) lets you view TV1 content on a standard-definition TV.

Thanks

Some of the responses I have received, though well intentioned, come from those who actually do not own the equiptment in question. Is any VIP 922 owner who also has a MT2 installed able to get any signal out the coaxial output on the MT2? I have been told by Dish tech rep that I should be able to get a SD signal out, which is what I need for my older TV's. The rf output on the 922 is great for my newer wide screen format TV's but of course show up squished on my older TVs. Here is what the manual for the MT2 says:

The MT2 OTA Module adds two digital over-the-air tuners (using one port) and a Channel 3-4 coaxial output. The Channel 3-4 Output (CH 3-4 OUT) lets you view TV1 content on a standard-definition TV.

Thanks
THe manual for the MT2 is wrong for the 922 there is no channel 3/4 option on the 922.
The rf output of the home distribution port of the 922 is SD, it is exactly the same as you would get out of the MT2 module on channels 3 or 4.

To the OP: you are getting great and accurate info, but you're not open minded to accept that people on this board know more than some of the tech CSR's at Dish. What nOcqu said is spot on. The ch. 3/4 output--even if it did work on the 922--is moot or utterly unnecessary for your situation as the Home Distribution output does the same thing. Your old TV can tune to at the very least the many UHF channels or likely the many Cable frequencies that it sends out to your TV. You pick the channels and band.

The channel 3/4 output option was most likely, IMHO, provided for older people who still have VCR's and other devices set for channel 3 or 4 and would be overwhelmed or easily get lost leaving channels 3 or 4 by having to tune to a different channel or input to view Dish and VCR or other devices connected to the TV, a far too common call for help that CSR's have to deal with. So, it is ch. 3/4 for those over 70 :). It is easier for them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)