922 Remote viewing bandwidth requirement

malibu3105

Original poster
May 27, 2010
California
Does anyone know the minimum bandwidth to be able to watch the 922 remotely? I have a 722VIP, and am thinking of doing the upgrade to the 922.

The 922 will have a bandwidth of 5.5Mb/s down and 1.7Mb/s up. I assume the up speed is the most importand, as the receiving PC's down speed will probably be faster then the up speed.

So should the 5.5Mb/s be fast enough?

Not sure I want to upgrade if I can't watch my 922 remotely. That is the main reason I want the 922.

thx.
Malibu.

Last edited:
Claude are you saying that you can watch HD over the remote viewing? I can not get mine to work in hd for the satellite shows. IT does work on my ota hd stations just fine. I upgraded my computer to Windows 7 and upgrade my memory with 2 1gb memory sticks and got TWC internet that does 10mpbs download speed and 1 Mpbs upload speed. I can not get the satellite shows in hd to work properly with out the picture slowing down and the sound wavering every other second.

LAN bandwidth vs Up/Download

They are probably refering to LAN speed, as this is the speed at the receiver. But I have never heard of LAN speed that is slower than the WAN (upload/download) speed. But sometimes the WAN speed is measured using burst speed. This would have to be measured at the sustained speed. Meaning, that the speed would have to be consistant over time.

I think they specify "LAN Bandwidth" because officially you can only stream HD over your internal LAN. DISH is only guaranteeing SD quality outside your internal LAN. AFAIK, there's no software limitation other then the available bandwidth as to whither you get SD or HD, but I've never really paid much attention.

If you're streaming outside of your local network and aren't using an old version of the SlingPlayer software you're using the man in the middle system that Sling has. The receiver uploads to the stream to Sling, sling sends it to you. When you're streaming in this fashion it's limited to SD. It won't send an HD stream to the sling servers.

If you use an older version of the SlingPlayer software you can stream as much bandwidth you want, up to what your network will support. Of course this requires that you have access to port 5101 on the 922 from remotely. However, the older SlingPlayer software won't support HD with the 922. So you're still limited to SD.

So I really don't think you can stream HD outside of the local network. You can get really good and high quality SD. But not the HD resolution.

To answer your specific question. I'd agree with the 500k suggestion as an absolute minimum. Anything above that can just let you get smoother and better quality. Around 1Mbps should give you a pretty consistent quality SD stream and anything above that is just gravy. To a certain extent what you need will also depend upon what you're watching. If you're watching sports, you're going to want more than say a drama or comedy series. The more often the entire picture changes the more bandwidth it's going to want.

P.S. I strongly suggest AGAINST leaving 5101 open to outside your network with the 922 right now. The password to get into the 922 is admin. The SlingPlayer software will let you change it and the new password will work but the 922 will continue to accept admin. On the next reboot of the 922 the new password will be gone and it'll be back to only accepting admin. So at this point if you're allowing remote access to the 922 other than through Dish's website, you're allowing EVERYONE in the world in.

Good Information

Good information. Espiecially about the ports. I don't need to watch HD offsite on my laptop. Nice SD will be fine. I just want to be able to watch whats on my DVR.

btw, I'm new here. Is there a way to setup how my reply's look? Font and size so I don't have to change them every time?

Thx.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts